If you were a landlord, would you accept these people?

I have these potential tenants who keep begging me for the apartment. normally i dont ask for bank account numbers but i felt like i really needed it since only one of them is employed. its a brother and two sisters. the sisters are both trained in dialysis technition and hospice work so they should have no problem finding a job in the area. I asked to see the bank account because she kept saying she had money and there is only 1000 dollars in the account. my rent is 2000 a month.
i still need to verify the brothers bank account and the sisters but now im starting to feel really uncomfortable because i really dont want them to move in, not be able to pay then have to start the eviction process.
if you were in my position, would you take them? would you give them the benefit of the doubt and accept the fact that because they are moving to a new state its normal that they dont have a job lined up or would you not accept them? im really on the fence, i really really like these people and i just fired the realtor we were working with because in the three months of working for me he has only showed the apartment once according to my other tenants, yet he claims hes been "working hard" but he seems like hes on a cocktail of drugs :/ so i fired him.
i dont know what to do. any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• You aren't making them pay the first months rent in advance? 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Well did you check there credit? If they have good credit they pay their bills. If they have bad credit they don't. I would not rent to anyone with bad credit.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't think a bank account is a good indication, I know our running checking account sometimes has less than $1000 in it, depending on what time of the month you look at it.... It seems to me you'd be better off checking for proof of income. Paystubs for the one who has a job, verifying that job with the employer, any other sources of income they may have. If they can't prove they have enough coming in on a monthly basis to cover the rent plus normal living expenses, then no, I probably wouldn't rent to them.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If there paystubs prove they have the income then i would if they cant provide that then i wouldnt
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You'll end up with tenants like my neighbors. Why are they 'begging?' Can they not get one elsewhere? Ask for lots and lots of references!
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Ha! Used the wrong "there" meant "their"
    Syphon

• I would not rent to anyone that I did not feel comfortable with period. I just went through a similar situation whereas my husband and I wanted to rent a home. We are excellent tenants by the way, with great income... LOL! Anyway, the guy said we were on the top of the list so we filled everything out, only to receive a call the next morning that he rented it to someone who was "in a more desperate situation". I have no idea what that means, but after telling us numerous times how he always makes the wrong decision with renters, you'd think he wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake. Anyway, his loss. Go with your gut instinct. You don't need any excuses.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• she has good credit and so does the brother but the other sister does not. i said they could pay a security deposit and a half months rent since they would be moving on the 15th.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't rent from someone who asked for my bank account numbers. In my state you don't have the right to do that.
    Anonymous

• i have been trying to fill this unit for six months. i am just so frustrated and tired of dealing with shady realtors and flakey people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011