Can two Dumbs make a smart?

Ok so my husband and I are 32 and 38, we have a 3 year old son and both work full time at the same jobs for over 10 years.. so we are stable and can work :) however, we aren't the smartest of people.. academically that is.. I have ADD and comprehension issues - I fear for our son when he reaches school age - what if we seriously will not be able to help him?? Since my niece has been 6 I would help her with her homework and at 10 I can't do it anymore- I am seriously NOT smarter than a 5th grader lol!~ so then what??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• You're not dumb, you have learning disabilities. That means if you found the right method that helped you learn, you would be fine.

Sorry, I just realized my last answer was harsh and I was really only talking about my family.

If you're really concerned about not being able to help them, let their teachers know. I've always had amazing teachers so I know that if my parents had had to go to them and say "I can't help my daughter with her homework" they would have done everything in their power to help them help me OR help them find someone who could help me. I really feel like most teachers would do this.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 6:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think it's possible. I also don't think you give yourself enough credit. Your answers are always well written and intelligent. You ARE smart even if you aren't great at school.  I also know you will do everything you need to do to make sure Max gets what he needs.  plus, when you aren't paying for daycare any longer you can always hire a tutor if you think he needs one. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Babe it's great to know your weaknesses but lets also think about it like this.  Your weaknesses are someone elses strengths.  There are SO many educational toys, games, etc. that you could use also.  A tutorer, etc.  And don't forget to throw in a pat on your back for being able to say you have weaknesses!  So awesome!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Please don't say that you're dumb. :-)
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• In my family, no. And my cousins are proof of that. Dumb and Dumber just made Stupid and Annoying.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• yes,my parents are a good example. my husband' as well.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• you will do the best you can and there are some homework websites to help the kids and you can always get a tutor also.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Tutors can help.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Put the child in a good school with good teachers. She'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As long as you are an involved parent, communicate often w/ his teachers (if you have ques. or concerns), you utilize academic resources, and stress the importance of an education, then you & your child will do just fine. I dont think intelligence (or learning disabilities) is necessarily inherited. And let's face it, at some point, our children will surpass us when they reach a certain level in school. If you dont use it, you lose it. So the stuff you learned back then is lost in the cobwebby part of your brain! -lol Dont worry, I'm sure things will turn out just fine! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011