Do you feel differently about step children?

I met my stepson two years ago before I had any children of my own. He is now four and I love him to death. I recently had a baby girl of my own with my husband and the feelings I have toward her are just a little different. I'm more protective and get more emotional about her. I don't believe it affects the care I give my stepson, but does it make me a horrible person to have just a little more attachment to my daughter?

sydash11

Asked by sydash11 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• My step mom treated me like GOLD :D love my step mommy!!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think you are just more attached because you carried her for 9mnths and she is part of you :D
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think what you are feeling is perfectly normal. There's nothing quite like a mother's love for her child(ren). That being said, it's very poosible to form a loving bond w/ a child that is not biologically yours. Which you said you have done. Just keep loving them both (& keep your maternal thoughts to yourself so as not to hurt anyone's feelings :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't know my 8yr old step-daughter all that well....although every time she see's me she gives me THE biggest hug and she draws me pictures and sweet things like that, I would like to get to know her better but her mother doesnt allow us to see her very often...it's been about 8 months this time around. DH is going to court to get joint custody and we already have a bed for her here so I'm hoping everything works out and she can really become a part of my life.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I didn't feel any different toward my child as I did my step children--they were all my boys.

I met my step children 5 years before I had my son. My then husband had custody of them, so we had them all but two weekends a month. I went through the chicken pox with them, ER visits and all of their highs and lows until they were 14 and 16. Then their dad and I split. I didn't get to see them that much after that, but I still call them my boys. After all, I had raised them for 10 years.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My husband admitted to me when our 1st was born that he felt differently about her than how he felt about the 2 I had before meeting him. I respected his honesty and told him there was nothing wrong with feeling that way as long as he didn't TREAT them differently. So far, he's treated them the same, being a great father to all of our kids. That's all that matters.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2011