How do you get your preschooler to make it to the restroom in time?

My four year old hadnt wet his pants since he was first potty trained back when he was two. Within the past six months, he has been waiting until the last minute to run to the bathroom.

I really dont want to pass it off as having a weak bladder. He gets so caught up into what he's doing whether its watching tv, playing a game, what have you, that he's doing the "pee-pee" dance and sprinting to the bathroom.

We've even gone so far as to everytime he comes back into the room after wetting his pants, we ground him from whatever it was that he was doing when the incident happened but it just doesnt seem to work. Not sure what to do...

HELP please!!!

shuggsmommy77

Asked by shuggsmommy77 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh I have that SAME issue. My 4 yo waits TOO LONG herself. What I had to start doing was going back to a pull up. If she waits too long, and pees herself, I make her wear a pull up. She HATES it, but I explain that I cannot have her wetting herself, or the couch she's sitting on, the floor, etc. Sometimes I'll see her crossing her legs, and tell her to go potty and she'll refuse. I tell her I am getting a pull up, and she'll get up and go. I hate having to threaten it, but i just do not understand WHY she is doing it all of the sudden myself. She's been FULLY potty trained since age 2.5, and never had such an issue.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Mine doesnt care too much about wearing a pull up. He still wears em to bed because he's a heavy sleeper and doesnt get up... Sometimes he will pee right through em! I just dont know what to do!
    shuggsmommy77

Comment by shuggsmommy77 (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I also make a point of having specific times a day where she has to TRY using the potty. When she wakes up, I don't do breakfast or turn on the TV until she goes. She has to go before we leave the house for ANY reason. She has to go before bedtime too. If she asks to play a computer game, or watch a special show, or play outside, whatever, the deal is, she has to TRY and use the potty first. That has HELPED. I don't have any nighttime issues, for she will call for us if she has to pee in the middle of the night. I also cut off drinks 1.5 hours before bed. Still, there are those times where she is RUSHING just like your son. We actually had an accident 2 days ago for she was too busy to go herself. ahh!!

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I reposted this and had someone basically tell me that the grounding part was wrong... well why should I continue to let him do something that was the distraction in the first place. I agree with you... I need to make him go potty before we do anything and as much as I hate to, stop liquids a certain time period before bed... I just hate denying him drinks. He usually gets drinks of water before bed after brushing his teeth.
    shuggsmommy77

Comment by shuggsmommy77 (original poster) at 10:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Ignore people like that. I would disagree with it if you were JUST potty training your son, but our kids are 4. My DD KNOWS how to go potty, for she has since being 2. Hell I don't even call her accidents "accidents," I say to DH, she had a DELIBERATE. lol That's why I whip out the pull ups, for at THIS age, they are a punishment for being too lazy to get up and GO, like I know she CAN. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011