What do you do when 5th grader sluffs school

my son sluffed school,i am concerned that this is the beginning of negative behavior i would like to put an end to it right now without troubling him more than he already is , i am at a loss .  I am so sorry for the incorrect spelling . i do thank all of you for your helpful guidance . i can assure you will never have the misfortune of reading a misspelled word again. and may god always be with you and your pen ,I would  hate for any of you to feel the way you all just made me feel...

rebi

Asked by rebi at 6:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sloughs? Wassat??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• confused

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• blank stare

momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 6:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• skipped?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That must be a regional term. I'm guessing it is what I would call skipping school, as in not going without permission?

Have you asked him why he did that? Try simply talking to him...spend more time with him, find out what's going on.

Sorry if that is totally not what is meant....not sure on the term "sluff" or "sloughed".
    struezel

Answer by struezel at 7:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Has he skipped school or he isn't doing his work? Either way, let him suffer the negative consequences of not doing what he is supposed to be doing. You can only nag, force and punish so much before they have to be given the responsibility for their own choices and behavior.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011