If this happened to you what would you do?

You are shopping in a clothing store and your child is throwing a fit. Do you ignore your child and continue shopping or do you stop shopping and take your child out the store?

soon2bmmy

Asked by soon2bmmy at 6:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I immediately stop and leave.  I take the kids home and whoever the offender was gets to lay in their bed.  They hate that so it's been a pretty good form of discipline.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I take my child to the public restroom and have a talk..trying to calm him down....if that doesnt work..I'd just leave because its no fun to shop when I'm aggravated! =-D
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If the child wont settle down, then I would stop & take them home. Nothing will get accomplished otherwise but frayed nerves.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I look at them and I say sternly "You need to settle down. If you do not we are leaving." If the child continues the fit then we leave. If you wish to give them a time out when you get home then you can, but I usually just leave it at leaving.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I try to distract him first with something and if that doesn't work we leave the store.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 6:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I warn them once if they don't settle down then we are leaving and I try to distract them and if that doesn't work we go home. And the next time they don't get to go, my kids hate that so it works pretty well.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• They get a warning. If it continues, we pack up and leave immediately and they await time out when we get home.
    liapoo1

Answer by liapoo1 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Stop and take care of my child's needs. That doesn't necessarily mean that we leave immediately.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 6:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I give him a warning, and if he continues, we leave. Since we are big fans of the time out method, I will usually sit him in the car (not strapped in) and go through the time out steps before we go home.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When my son was that age, it depended on why he was fussing. If he was crying because he wanted something & couldn't have it, he'd get a warning, then we'd leave if he couldn't settle himself & he'd have a time out at home. If he was crying because he was hungry or thirsty, I'd give him something & keep shopping. If he was crying because he was tired & cranky, then I'd leave & take him home for a nap (which he'd take in the car, of course, and be ready to play by the time we got home, naturally).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2011