what does a broken rib feel like?

for just over a week now i have been having pain in my chest left side. it hurts to breath deep, hurts to cough, and o man if i sneeze. it hurts to sit up. what could this be. i have been sick with bronchitis for over a month now. maybe i cracked a rib coughing too hard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• One other possibility: it could be that you pulled or tore a muscle. When I was pregnant I cracked 3 ribs and tore several muscles throwing up. In fact, there is a muscle on my left side that was torn enough that it healed in two separate pieces, and sometimes when I move wrong, part of it slides up over a rib and gets stuck and has to be massaged back down into place.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It sounds like pleurisy- inflammation of the lining of the lungs (if I remember correctly.) Of course I could be guessing entirely incorrectly. So the best thing to do is to get it checked by a doctor. Good luck with this, and I hope you feel better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 1:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Sounds like pnemonia, or pluresy, which is an infection of the lining of the lungs. GO to your Dr and get med's as this WONT go away. You CANT break or crack your rib from coughing to hard. Your sick and need to see a Dr and get med's so the infection goes away, before you damage your lung and have a lifetime of trouble breathing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i cant go to the doctor right now. i went jsut over a month ago and it cost alot outa pocket. and well i am a single mother and my insurance from my job doesnt kick in till january. at work i also have to to a lot of labor. heavey lifting. and unloading trucks and such as i am the only female in the back. so i try to keep up with the guys. they help but then i get mad and tell them to let me do it. and they tease me ok ok you got it you got it. but ya maybe i did it then. i jsut know it hurts and i have trouble getting up from a laying position.
    Anonymous

• cont. or sitting position. a few nights ago i couldnt get up. i was sooo scared. i ended up in the floor next to my couch it hurt sooo bad. it is on the left side of my chest right where the underwire of my bra sits and a little higher and lower. and it kinda wraps around almost to my side.
    Anonymous

• It could be a cracked rib, or a fractured rib, or pleurisy, or pneumonia....but regardless of what it is, it isn't going to get better on its own any time soon if you don't see someone. Go to an urgent care clinic or free clinic if you have to.

Pleurisy is an infection of the cavity that surrounds the lungs. Pneumonia causes difficulty breathing, not necessarily with pain, but it depends on the type of pneumonia. The area you described as being where the pain is leads me to believe this may be a lung problem more than a rib problem, but it could be either. That is why it is important to be seen. If it is a rib, there could be splinters which can cause much more damage than the rib itself. Get thee to the doctor, one way or the other.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008