Could my 2 year old have a urinary tract infection?

Since last night my 2 year old son has been grabbing himself and saying "pee pee hurt" I thought it might be a urinary tract infection but he doesn't do it everytime he pees....only sometimes. I have never had one so I don't really know what they are like. Any ideas? Do you think he does have a urinary tract infection? He does not have a rash or anything like that and I know he is not constipated so I'm not sure hat else it could be. Thanks for your help.

sassyhettel

Asked by sassyhettel at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I would call your childs Dr and let them know. Most likely the Dr will want to see him. Play it safe. Kids DO get UTI's all the time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Is his urine really dark yellow? Does it have a strong odor? If so, yes its probably a UTI. I get them all the time. Give him some cranberry juice, and some extra love. UTI's hurt. They bring me to tears everytime I go to the bathroom.... maybe one day I'll learn to not drink so much coke, and drink more water. lol.
    Also, call his doctor, he needs antibiotics if it is a UTI. And dont let it go, it could turn into a bladder or kidney infection...and those are very bad.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It sounds like it could be. I would get it checked out just to be sure. Like Auntiemom said, you dont want it to spread. I had a UTI when I was 4 & it spread to my kidneys. I had problems for many years. I had to see a kidney specialist until I was 14 years old.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 7:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Its pretty rare for a boy to get UTI because their urinary tract is a lot longer then a girls, but I'd get him checked just to be safe and start giving him cranberry juice immediately.
    From what I've researched UTI's are usually caused by bacteria from the anus getting into the urinary tract. I hope its not a UTI for his sake they are very painful.
    If he says he has to pee real bad and barely anything comes out thats a sure sign of UTI.
    luv.2b.mommy

Answer by luv.2b.mommy at 11:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You can buy a kit at Walgreens that tests for UTI. I would buy some bottles of UNSWEETENED cranberry juice too as a precaution. The 100% juice ones usually have apple juice so they are not so tart. If he test neg for UTI, get a doc appt. Some boys are also prone to a condition where the urethra doesn't grow fast enough (the tube from the kidney to the penis) and it causes painfull urination. Also, check for any bruising on him - once my son dropped the lid while going and it squished him between the toilet & the lid & left a terrible looking bruise that was very painfull. Good Luck!
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 11:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My son was doing the same thing and after 2-3 or three times, I opened his diaper and saw that he had an erection. I called the doc. She said that erections are very normal and come and go at certain ages. She said that this is a new feeling for them (not arousal - just stretching) and that some little boys will complain that it "hurts". I would still definitely take him into see the doc soon. If it's a UTI and anti-biotics are not started ASAP, he may get a kidney infection. That can be very a VERY serious. Not trying to scare you, just trying to be helpful. Last bit of advice: A lot of people have mentioned giving cranberry juice. That is not something I would do unless recommended by the doc for this reason: In some people, drinking anything with sugar can actually cause or worsen a UTI. Unsweetened is probably okay, but my doc has always said water is the best. I wish you the best and hope he feels better soon!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 12:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• HEY YOU SHOULD REALLY GET HIM TO THE DR. OR THE ER ... HE COULD HAVE VUR WHERE THE URINE GOES BACK UP TO THE KIDNEYS... I WOULD HAVE IT CHECKED OUT ASAP! I ALSO HAVE A GROUP ON IT!
    ADIDASMOMOF1

Answer by ADIDASMOMOF1 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008