My daughter has what they call occular migraines(she is 10) she has had them since age of 4

she sees colors of light in her vision at different times. has for years. i have taken her to the eye doctor but they do not seem concerned he is the one who said it was ocular migraines and her dad gets them to. i am seems to me they are becoming more frequently. Usually there is no pain is involved but it is annoying for her. they said she no longer needed glasses. is there anything i can do to help?

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• I suffer from those too. They suck! Have they tried migraine meds? I think if those dont work, the next step is an mri of the head.
    Good luck!
    KellyOh72

Answer by KellyOh72 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You could see a neurologist.

When you said that she sees colors at different times it reminded me of a condition called Synesthesia. Often people with it see certain letters or numbers in different colors. There is a bunch of info on it on wikipedia. This was my google search.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Migraines tend to run in families. Mine is one of those. I have hemi-plegic migraines (I can't move one side of my body), My son began having Aural Migraines when he was 4. They have intensified with age. They were the worst between 14-20. They aren't as bad anymore. One of the things our Primary care Drs have made it a point to do was refer us to neurologists. We each follow up at least once every 6 months assuming there is no new issues. Medication managment for my son med it much easier for him to focus in school.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Cont'd The lights, colors and patterns became so distracting for him all he could do was put his head down. After they found a med that managed symptoms his grades flew right back up.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011