girl who commited suicide from myspace

did you hear of the girl who developed a relationship with a fake person on the other page of a made up boy by her friend or a so called friend and she was acting like this fake boy liked her and then hated her and told her the world would be better with out her in it? the mother of the girl who made this page joined in and said some hurtful things and then the girl ended up heart broken and killed herself. the mother can't be charged with any form of murder cause there is nothing in the law that states what she did was a form of murder. the only law they have is bullying over the net but was intended to be towards children not adult. well i suppose her parents could sue her for wrongful death. do you think this mother deserves to get something? what about the daughter? your thoughts

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The mother's name is Lori Drew. She deserves to go to jail and I pity her child who has learned to treat other people this way. Lori Drew is a sick, sick, disgusting, shameful excuse for a human being and quite frankly she fits the definition of a child predator. She created a false persona online to begin a romantic-themed relationship with a vulnerable child, and their conversations had sexual and romantic overtones. She's a child predator and she deserves to rot in jail.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 1:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Wow- I don't know what to say about that- except that is so very sad : ( My children are small- but I've already decided that myspace and facebook will not be allowed in my kids life until they are 18yo and/or mature enough to understand the internet and all its dangers.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 1:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes I heard about that a while back. Very sad. The bad thing is the neighbors mom was involved in this plot...Sad.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Definitely, any mother that not just sits back but joins in it OMG. Hopefully the mother of the girl that killed herself will have the strength to go to congress to change the law. I would. I think that bullies (Internet or school) need harsher punishment. They can take it to such extremes these days. If they are a jock or whatever it seems all they get is a slap on the wrist, if that.

Anonymous

• yes that was about a year or so ago. and so very sad! i think the mother who did this as a joke should be in jail!
    Anonymous

• I read about it a long time ago. I personally think there was probably more to it when it comes to the girl who killed herself. Im sure there had to be warning signs of some sort. Im not saying what they did was right because it was wrong completely wrong. However someone doesnt just go kill themselves over something that happens online unless there was more underlyng issues related to her self esteem, depression etc.
    I dont know what they can charge the mom with, maybe harassment of a child? Child abuse? I would think something like that would apply?

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• good point, Bluecrayon. I never thought of it that way, but it is similar to men who find underage girls online and present themselves as being a similar age.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• This case is like 1035089750938713208975 years old.
    Anonymous

• This is really sad. I hope her parents sue her for wrongful death. I don't see how she can not be charged with something serious if they have all the emails and stuff... man, thats sad
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I sort of feel bad for both parties actually. What an idiotic thing that mother did, but they hinted at overtones that the little girl who killed herself also was malicious and mean and bullied that woman's daughter on a continual basis in person. I think the mother should have been more mature, and she should be held accountable in some way, but from the snippets they have released of the other girls treatement to her daughter that she was flaming mad.

Anonymous