Teacher Hates my son???

my son had been sick the whole week and he went back to school today. The principal saw my son and said "I'm glad your back!" and another teacher also asked what happened and why she hadn't seen him this week. My son cried when i asked him how his day was, and if his teacher asked him if he was feeling better. The teacher has told me before that he is having a problem having a positive interaction with my son because of his behavior. I have sat in the class and i see other students much worse than him, and i notice that my son keeps having to turn his cards for little things, that are normal for his age and are just petti.... I am so tired of this Teacher, he never gave my son a chance! I'm going to principal on monday and sitting in the class.

Actress-mom81

Asked by Actress-mom81 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The other students are worse because of your perspective. He is your son--you very well could be biased.
    And, what you could consider petty, very well could be a class rule. No matter how petty it is, the teacher can not let it slide because a mom thinks it's petty.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Parents observing a classroom is common.

Good luck, OP.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I say hell yes go sit in the classroom.  You have a right to know what's going on.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Are you upset because your son didn't say the teacher asked about him or said he was glad he was back? I'm confused. I'm a teacher. I don't always get a chance to speak to each student when they return. There are anywhere from 20-25 of my students who are wanting my attention too. It sometimes gets missed. Plus, I have rarely talked to a parent who felt his/her child deserved any punishment received. Even when the students were fighting, it wasn't their child's fault. Parents don't like to admit their child deserves consequences. Other students are usually 'worse' than theirs. Be careful how you intervene. What your child will learn is: I can act up at school and my mom will go to the school and put the principal and the teacher in their places. That isn't what your child needs. It will not turn out well in the long run.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I don't think sitting in on the classroom again is going to accomplish much IMO...thank goodness the school year is almost over...my son's teacher doesn't like my son either and it's been a long long year.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Is this teacher a male? I find that younger children respond better to female teachers than males. It is great there are male teachers teaching the younger grades but for a boy that young... he may not be responding well because of the gender. Just something to consider.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I truly understand what you're saying and if your son feels like the teacher does not like him, he is probably right. I agree w/ previous posters that not everyone is going to like your child (hard as that is to believe) but teachers have to monitor their behavior and try their hardest to treat everyone equally.

I think cleannaturallady & Peajewel have given you the best advice - schedule a meeting with the teacher and the principal. Ask for specifics about the problems and specifics about the things the teacher has tried. If there just isn't a good fit, and the teacher can't seem to get past his issues, definitely ask to have your son moved to a different classroom - if there is a better option available. Good luck!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Well my son is 7 y. And i know i'm not being bias, i am going to school now my 2nd year of teaching degree. If your butt is not on the chair, but you are staying in your seat = petty, when you look under your table to pick your pencil up, you get yelled at = petty. I mean my son is capable of speaking up, and i know that he is not perfect some of the things he does he needs a consequences for. But if he is the only one getting punished for every little thing then the purpose of the consequence looses its power.
    Actress-mom81

Comment by Actress-mom81 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i am going to school now my 2nd year of teaching degree
    _______
    I have am only a few credits short of having my Masters in special ed, have been teaching for years and teach emotional/social disorder children--your point?
    My point is you may be missing what is really going on. There may be more to it than what you are seeing. Do not jump to conclusions. Talk to the teacher about your observations (nicely) and inquire as to if you were missing something. There may be more than what you, as a biased mother (and, yes, you are, we ALL are when it comes to our children) is seeing. I can guarantee once you are teaching and have parents complaining about what they think are petty things, your view point may change. Most of the time what they parent's think/feel isn' the real issue that is going on in the classroom.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• While you might not consider it petty when "your butt is not on the chair, but you are staying in your seat " I know many teachers that do. That is their prerogative as it is their classroom. I, personally, do not go by that dictate, but that is me and my classroom. As for the pencil thing, it depends on things that have happened in the past or how long/often it happens. Sometimes things like that are a work avoidance issue.

This is why communication between parent and teacher is key. When you can speak to the teacher in a polite, non-accusatory manner, you might be able to help the situation. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011