Should i take my 9 yr old to a shrink?

my son is 9 and my daughter is 7. im divorced and ive been taking them to see a social worker for the past year. my son has had a few issues and sometimes does some strange things. for instance this morning i think he made himself throw up. he does things for attention. and we give him a ton of attention. had alot of issues with the ex. i think he also has a family history of mental problems. he was abusive to the kids, more so my son. my husband has alot of experience with kids and thinks my son is at risk. we does fairly well in school. but seems to get picked on alot. i dont know what is normal 9 yr old behavior and what is not.  should i take him to see a phsychiatrist or something?

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• If he is seeing a clinical social worker, he does NOT need to go to a "shrink". Clinical social workers are trained and many are licensed counselors. If the social worker isn't helping, then find a different one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Agreed. A therapist/shrink/whatever the name is now would probably be beneficial for your son.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• A child psychologist is a good idea.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• yeah , i would , and be prepared for issues that are tough to deal with -- but deal with it , the damage is done so start processing and

your son is a innocent child he needs mommy alot .good luck.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would. just do all you can to make sure they are good at what they do.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011