ANTI-Religous

I was wondering if there were any Christians who believe in God but not the church. Ive been having a really hard time sitting through a whole church service. I feel the rituals are idolic and the rules are man made and people only do things to look good not out of love. I believe in God i believe in his word but i do not believe in the church. I feel like you can meet with a small group of truly dedicated Christians and that be more powerful than a mega church.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• How many churches have you tried? I've definately been to churches like that, but I've also been to churches that aren't like that, so possibly you need to search around a little bit more.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• The church I go to teaches out of the bible and we don't really do to many "rituals". I believe people need church but they need the right church, one that will teach the the word of God and simply goes by that. It should be a place for learning, not a place to concentrate on rituals.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't go to church. I used to but that was when i was 7 and never payed attention. I am catholic and my DF is christian. and when my daughter is old enough to decide if she does or does not want to get baptized then i will allow her to choose her religion.. I don't believe in religion. I don't need someone telling me if i am or am not going to heaven. or how i can get there and how i can't. I think church is BS. to be honest (NO disrespect to those who go to church) If thats what suites your lifes fancy GREAT! but I believe in god. and I pray. but I don't need a church to do it. and I definately don't need a religion to do it either. I think as long as your close to god in your own way. YOUR STILL CLOSE TO HIM. at least your not following satan. ;)
    JordonMichelle

Answer by JordonMichelle at 7:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Nope you are not alone. My DH and I had a bad experience with his former church, at least he did anyways. My friends back home have a bible study they attend every Thursday night that they call The Inner Circle. I've never managed to attend when I'm back home, but from what I hear them talk about it going great. I think you can have "church" where ever and whenever you want.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• This is why I love my church... it is anti religious :-) We are more of a organic family unit with joy than a dry & dead institution ! ( some churches are more like funerals!)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You could try the Society of Friends ( Quakers ) or the Unitarian Church . They are virtually ritual free and in my limited experience free of the hypocrisy you often encounter in other churches which are more authoritarian and less communal .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Hmm. I love my church and we don't have any rituals that I can think of. I'm curious...what kinds of rituals are you talking about?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I got to church at the top of a ski mountain- outside-in my boots and skis- so yes, a mega-church would not be for me-
    In the summer we "home school" for church-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Oh, and the last bible study I was involved with was called "The Bad Girls of the Bible-and what we can learn from them"- over half of the women that attend have Master's degrees, the wine flows as easily as the conversation- and we are all Christians, although anyone would have been welcomed- so much for the stereotype of Christianity as a bunch of brainwashed, uneducated, friendless, boring women MIND=BLOWN right?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Maybe a "mega-church" is not for you. Some people need more one on one. Since Jesus lives in you, you are the church and should be able to praise the Lord anywhere with other believers.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2011