How do I wean off Formula?

My son turned One year old 2 weeks ago and he still has formula bottles for both naps, bedtime and one time in the middle of the night - I don't know how to wean - can anyone give me help?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doc said there is no need to wean. If baby will take it, just switch straight to milk.
    Anonymous

• mix 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk and do that for a couple of days then go 50 50 and then 1/4 formula and 3/4 milk and then whole milk.. may take a week if u want to ease it... and try to use a sippy more often too GL
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 1:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• So then he will end up getting milk in a sippy cup at those times instead of formula? I've been trying the sippy cup for 3 months and I think he just figured out how to get anything from it - before he was using it as a chew toy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Start mixing with milk...a little more each week until it's just milk. I would also suggest introducing a sippy cup at one meal per day, to get your baby used to it. It might help with the transition from the bottle to cup.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You have several choices... You can ween or you can go cold turkey. I chose to ween with my girls, starting with half and half then cold turkey. Also you might want to start up more on solids and juices rather than so much dependency on the milk. This often helps.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 3:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i just went staight to milk she took it with no problem and we didnt go back, same w/ bottle i threw most of them away, and the ones i kept i put them up where she couldnt find them and just gave her a sippy. i took the bottle away after she was used to regular milk in her bottle first though.
    carimo

Answer by carimo at 12:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2008