Ultrasound shows im 4 weeks but i got a +hpt almost 2 weeks ago?????

I got a positive hpt a week ago Monday (in other words, a week and 5 days ago). Because of my history with eptopic and miscarriages, my doc had me come in for an ultrasound today but didn't do it at her office so she wasn't there. Anyway, doc at ultrasound place thinks im about 4 weeks....
seriously, that can't be right... I had a positive test almost 2 weeks ago. Just wondering if the pregnancy isn't growing or something. Anyone experience this?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 7:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• hugsWeird! I don't know...I am sorry. I am thinking about you and hoping you find out soon what is going on.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What did your doctor say about it? It could be that the u/s was measuring the size of the fetus from the date of conception instead of your last menstrual period. That could account for the two week difference.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• sleeping... my doc hasn't called me yet. I only talked to the doc at the ultrasound place. Anyway, my situation isn't that easy because I didn't have a "last period". The last time I bled it was a miscarriage, which was in January. He thought i was 4 weeks about of the sac development. My doc expected to see a heartbeat today based on my blood work.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Hey. First of all...CONGRATS!!! I had a miscarriage January 6th and have been TTC every since. Your story gives me hope. :)

Second....DID they TEST your HCG to 0? Are you POSITIVE that the BFP HPT you got 2 weeks ago wasn't just left over hormone?

Ultra sounds can be off by up to 2 weeks either side of the actual date. Obviously your pregnant because you saw the ultra sound but it's possible that the HPT was positive because of left over hormone and then you happened to be EARLY in a new pregnancy anyways.

I would ask for another ultra sound in 2 weeks just to make sure baby is growing. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
    Anonymous

• Lets see....you tested 2 weeks ago. That would have put you about 4 or 5 weeks along (depending on how late you were). Meaning today you would be 5 or 6 weeks along. However, an EDD based on an U/S is tricky. They measure the baby as best they can BUT those measurements can put the weight wrong + or - up to 2 pounds (putting you off by weeks). That's why most women get more than one edd....because they 'measure' the baby.

I would talk with the doctors about your concerns...and maybe even ask for another U/S in a week. But with you being so early, it's normal to get different edds.

They wanted to keep changing my due date because my son was measuring big...but I went through IVF..so I kinda knew when things took place...LOL.

Congrats and good luck.

SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Okay. Forget the whole date based on LMP thing - that adds 2 weeks that you aren't pregnant. Most women ovulate halfway between periods - so about 2 weeks after a period starts, about 2 weeks before the next period is due. You get pregnant when you ovulate. So when you miss your period 2 weeks later, you're technically 2 weeks pregnant - but since docs go by lmp, they say you're 4 weeks. Ok, back to the whole 2 weeks. You got your bfp 2 weeks ago, so you were 2 weeks pregnant, add on the last 2 weeks, puts you technically at 4 weeks pregnant. Yes. But according to lmp you're 6 weeks - but the first 2 of those weeks you weren't actualy pregnant. Please tell me I explained it understandably.
    Anonymous

• Looks lke you got your answer.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• They tested my levels down to 0 after the miscarriage so I knew this was a new pregnancy. It still doesn't make sense to me. The couldn't measure the baby because it hadn't developed yet. All was saw was a sac with a halo in it. Thats why he thought I was about 4 weeks. idk...
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2011