Suicidal friend of son. What to do?

My 14 yr old has a 14 yr old bi-polar friend. He saw him at school today saying he was going to go home and commit suicide. Luckily he was in the care of the school therapist as he was saying this. Anyways his mom is very inattentive. Single, selfish mother who only cares about herself.

How should I handle this child when it comes to my son? Tell my son to stay away? Be friendlier? Should I report this to child services? I'm so lost and only want the best for all kids involved.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would definitely take it seriously and report it to whoever I needed to.  So sad. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes you should take it seriously. My brother in law did that a few years ago. When we think back, we all remember him mentioning it. I think I would call the school and talk to the principal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I know a family who lost not 1... but 2 sons to bi-polar suicide. Its no joke! I have no idea who you should contact but someone definately needs to be contacted. Do some research and see if there is some sort of hotline.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 8:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You should call children's protective services. Bipolar can be genetic...perhaps that is why his mother is the way she is. Just think about how devastating this could be for your son if his friend does follow through. I would research bipolar and talk to your son about the disorder. You shouldn't keep them from being friends, but you should talk to your son about avoiding dangerous situations. Perhaps they should not be at the bipolar friend's house without a responsible adult present. Definitely let your son know that bipolar can affect a person's ability to make safe, rational decisions. If he wants to be friends with this child, he should know that he can't always trust what his friend says. I think though that the benefits to your son of learning tolerance, understanding, and acceptance probably outweigh any risks. It really sounds like this child needs a good friend like your son. Don't take that away from them.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 8:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i agree with momofkids except in the cps part, i would talk to the school counselor, principal and teacher first. Definately have your son give him the number for the crisis line as a just in case!
    dksamurai

Answer by dksamurai at 8:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• momofkids said what I wanted to. The only thing I would add is that your local police station will do a welfare check if you call and ask for it. Maybe also have your son suggest Boystown National Hotline to his friend for someone to talk to/with when he's feeling really low. Maybe also try to have that boy over at your house as much as possible to give him a safe place to go and someone to talk with since his mother is oblivious.

Having been depressed enough to be suicidal, this boy desperately needs someone to reach out to him and tell him he's worth something.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have dealt with 2 suicides and more attempts with my family than I can count. It is definitely a serious thing and you may even be able to call the hotline yourself to get help with the situation. Good luck with everything and I'll be sending my prayers.
    shuggsmommy77

Answer by shuggsmommy77 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Definitely take it seriously...my BIL used to say he was going to kill himself a lot and no one ever took him seriously...we all wish we would have now
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am just curious as to what the school therapist is doing. Hopefully this is being reported. This child needs to go to a place to be on watch and to get the help he seems to so desperately need.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No idea what the school is doing. I actually just ran into the child at the market. he was with friends, looked high, and his mother had no clue where he was. It's 8pm here so he and his 11 yr old brother are roaming the streets at night. I would call the mom but she truly wouldn't care. I had to search the streets at 10pm for them one evening myself because she was too lazy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2011