Are you going to or do you teach your kids that Santa is real or not real?

I was just reading a post about how people found out that Santa wasn't real and just curious how many people are going to tell their kids Santa is real or not real and why or why not.

TiffanyLove18

Asked by TiffanyLove18 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • My parents didnt do the whole Santa thing. We were a strong christian family, and I was aware that the presents came from my parents, in honor of Jesus' birthday. They were afraid that if they told us about santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy, and then told us they werent real, then maybe we'd think they were pulling our leg about this Jesus guy. Im glad they did things how they did, and I plan on doing the same.
    However, we were told that if we told other kids there was no santa, then we'd get no presents, so we kept it to ourselves, and joked about the other kids with eachother. Its always kind of cool knowing something that the majority of your peers dont know.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• All my kids, even the adult ones are barred from saying Santa isnt real. I have smaller children and grandchildren and I make the older ones play along otherwise Santa wont come for them either. It actually once the kids get older turns into a joke between us all. Like I can say well if you tell your brother santa isnt real maybe santa will give your present to someone else. or the older kids can tell the little ones they hear him on the roof. It isnt like theyll actually believe us forever.
    Anonymous

• Santa isnt Real???????

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My mom explained it to me this way and I will do the same with my kids
    Santa is real, he is all of us that enjoy giving to others, so if you enjoy giving to others then he is in you. To my family he is more like a symbol of giving and that is way more important than recieving gifts.
    I was not crushed because this is a fact of christmas, it the season for giving. If you teach your children more about giving then getting then they wont be so crushed when they find out he is not "real"
    Anonymous

• I debated over this but my son solved my question for me. I didn't know if I should let him believe for as long as possible or if I just say that there once was a person who gave gifts...(explain the story of how Santa came to be) and now we give gifts to honor his spirit and generosity. My son is two. The other day at the store he was pointing to all the decorations up. He said, "Christmas tree!" and then "Snowman!" and "Santa!" I had never talked to him about Santa Claus. So somewhere (Montessori) he was educated. Problem solved. Santa will come to visit our house this year and leave him a stocking and we will leave out a plate of apples.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My girls still believe Santa's real and I will keep it that way as long as I can, if someone has a problem with that then too bad.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• We believe in Santa. I will go along with it as long as she would like. When I was little and knew Santa was not real my Dad would continue with Santa and I played along with him thinking HE still believed Santa was real. When I became an adult and it was my daughter's turn to believe in Santa I told my father I new for years Santa was fake but continued to be surprised thinking you still had a place in your heart for him. Every year we still laugh about it. I need to stay he did a great job with making us happy.
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 1:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I have not gotten to that stage yet, but I'm a firm believer in Christ. My plan is to let my daugther be a child, and if the question is asked, answer truthfully. I don't mention Santa unless she does, but I don't refuse her the childhood fantasy. I do however make sure she knows that Jesus gives mommy and all her loved ones the money or the material needed to provide the gift.

one thing i look at, is what was I told, and how did i feel about what i was told. Something else you can consider, is telling your child that once there was a christkringle who took presents to the children in his neighborhood and that we are just living out the traditions of what he did.

just think about how your child will feel, if they truley believe ther is a santa or the easter bunny then how will they feel when they discover that there is not?
    sgunn

Answer by sgunn at 2:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• We don't do the Santa thing! We look at him more like a cartoon character.  I'm not about to tell them some man is going to sneak into our house in the middle of the night and leave them presents!

Anonymous

• My DH is trying to convince me its a good idea. I still do not agree. I see it as lying to your children. They learn things from you telling them what is real and how things work. They also will be equaly happy with the gifts if they know you gave them, probably not stay up as late trying to see santa, and will not think that you have neglected to get them what they repeatedly badgered you to get. They can depend on you not santa. Why should he get credit?
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 21, 2008