Does it cost anything to get jewelry appraised? Where do I go for this?

My mom wants me to send back her wedding set that my dad married her with, but I don't want to just send it through the mail (return receipt of course) without having an actual value to insure it. Also I would like to sell my set from a former fiance`, as well as some of my other high-end jewelry that I no longer wear. I'm not quite sure how or where to go.

RmeWifey01

Asked by RmeWifey01 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Any jewelry store can appraise it :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Oh and it's free, if it's not free go to a different store! my hometown store appraised my jewelry for free, it wasn't official in writing but it gave us a good ballpark
    staciandababy

• It does cost to have a written appraisel done. If you are going to insure the ring you need it to be written in the event you need to file a claim. Lots of high end jewelry stores have certified appraisers. Lots of insurance companys have them too. It really depends on where you live. The less rural the easier it will be to find someone. Do not confused a pawn shop with an appraiser. Pawn shops will not give you value for artistry or style. They will give you a bottom of the barrle price based on gold and diamond weight.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thank you Ladies.
    RmeWifey01

Comment by RmeWifey01 (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• A proper appraisal will be written up by someone who is certified. It will be typed and signed. The jewelry store I used to work at had a graduate gemologist do the appraisals. We typically charged $50 per piece. Most, if not all, insurance companies require a certain type of appraisal be done so make sure you know what kind they are doing (retail replacement or estate value).
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As the others have posted ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• A written appraisal as stated will cost about $50.00. That's what I paid for my grandmothers ring. Getting ready to do it again.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2011