Would you leave college info. off your application if you are trying to get ANY job, even if it is below your education?

I have a BS in CRJ/Forensic Sci., but live in an area that is 'economically depressed' due to being a mil-spouse. The areas where my degree would be useful are not hiring at the moment, so I have applied at several stores and banks. The pay will be minimal but it will be a job none the less. Hubs is quite controlling and refuses to give me any money so this is what I must do I suppose, though he HATES the idea of me working at something he deems 'below' his status (he's a Field Grade Officer).

RmeWifey01

Asked by RmeWifey01 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't leave any info off of my application, no. I always put on their that I studied mortuary science...even though I work in retail, lol.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 8:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes. I definately would, depending on the position. Sometimes people assume that you are trying to find a temporary position, or will start to threaten the management positions.

I never believed in this before, but my father lost his job as a CEO . . . he job-searched forever. Everyone kept telling him he was "overqualified" and wouldn't hire him. He finally dropped all his education of the resume and got hired! You do what you have to do.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If it would help you get a job, like ImaginationMama said many places use that term "overqualified" a lot for a reason not to hire someone.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That's what I was thinking ImaginationMama. I have not even gotten any interviews yet. My goal is to pay for some medical transcription/coding/billing classes (actually it's 2 classes @ $2K each), so that I will be marketable wherever we get stationed next, and then eventually AFTER dh retires in 3 yrs I could work from home doing those particular jobs. Or from the road if we decide to buy a 'motorhome' & travel.

When we got here, I was hoping to land a SA job @ the airport nearby. Sadly they are not hiring.
    RmeWifey01

Comment by RmeWifey01 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My DH will put hes a firearms instructor or has a degree in gunsmithing at a security job, they tell him hes to over qualified and they can't pay him what they thinjk he will want, and its not true. Like u, he just needs a job. Gave another aoo to another co didn't put the qualifiion on there, he got the job. I guess it all depends. I put I have a Criminal Justice degee and some employers do the same to me, other look at it like I at least "carry things though" or what not. Bascially its a damn if u do damn if u don't scenario.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No, you may get hired at an entry level position, but something in management may come up down the line - you don't want them to overlook you because they think you aren't qualified.

Answer by missanc at 8:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Missanc, Thank you. I hadn't thought of that. Although given my husband's assignment right now, we will be here only 8 more months.
    RmeWifey01

Comment by RmeWifey01 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would leave it off for certain positions, they most likely will think you are over qualified, and will not stay very long. It sucks but sometimes you have to do it.....
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Many companies prefer to hire degreed applicants; I would leave it on, though trim it to Bachelor's of Science degree, Awesome University

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Don't misrepresent your past education or leave out information on your degrees ~ it will come up on a thorough background search anyway.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2011