Did I do Wrong with this doctor??

My son has a leg injury that he can now walk on without crutches. We took an MRI and after 3 weeks the results came back. It was a meniscus and slight ACL tear. Normally for me I wanted a 2nd opinion. Should I have asked for that? I ask this because when we went in for consultation, the dr wanted to do surgery without is seeing the MRI, and when I asked to see it, he asked me if I wanted to read it myself..."or do you want me to walk you through it?" I was insulted especially when he said something about shopping for a doctor. When I got in the car with my husband, he asked what was MY problem? Is it wrong to ask to see the negative and a 2nd opinion? What would you have done?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 8:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would be very concerned with the attitude.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It should be that second opinions are fine . . . but I have also gotten attitude because I asked for one. The second opinion doctor, who was actually the doctor I wanted to see . . . is making us wait another 3 months to be treated. Probably because he is afraid I am "shopping sround" too. It feels terrible to be treated like that, and it is actually my toddler who is the one having to wait to be treated.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Go with your gut!
    shuggsmommy77

Answer by shuggsmommy77 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You are absolutely right to ask for a second opinion, and to see the MRI. If you get attitude go somewhere else.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't see how "shopping around" is a bad thing. The health of your family and you are priorities. You want the best care for the best price, right? Some doctors need to get over themselves.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He sounds like an ass, I'd find another dr. And this coming from someone who has seen so many asses and finally found a great dr for my kids..one that listens and respects the momma :)
    dksamurai

Answer by dksamurai at 8:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What a jerk. You always have a right to a second opinion. If the doctor has a problem with that--I'd change doctors. If he was a good doctor, he would understand you desire to get one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As a sports med professional I can even tell if there is an ACL tear or a meniscus tear buy feel, without any imaging. Orthopedist can certainly do the same. When he asked you if you wanted to read it yourself..."or do you want me to walk you through it?" he was giving you the option... if you knew how to read the MRI film then you didn't need him to explain it. If you didn't know what you were looking at then he'd explain it. Did you flat out say I want a second opinion?? That would have been to right way to handle it. An ACL tear/meniscus tear confirmed by the MRI report (which he would have seen without looking at the slides) are pretty straight forward. It is or it isn't... surgery is the normal course of action taken my all orthos. It sounds as if he was reacting to your attitude. You get what you give.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Any doctor who tries to disuade you from getting another opinion is just afraid that you might find out that he's wrong. Don't trust him!! Even if it turns out that he's right, it's probably more good luck than his skill. That demeaning attitude he cocked is also another sign that he's not very good and he knows it... and he's trying to puff up his chest so you will back off and let him get away with it. This is typical behavior from someone who's insecure and overcompensating - I've seen it in many different situations.

Trust your instincts. Get a second opinion. Find a doctor who treats you with respect and answers every question you have.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My question is, do you know how to read an MRI and what to look for? If not, him asking if you wanted him to walk your through it was acceptable. A second opinion is always an option. I am thinking it was more about HOW you said what you did rather than WHAT you said.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011