Baby cereal age?

Was wondering at what age did you start ur lil one on baby cereal?
Someone suggested to me to start putting a tablespoon in my sons formula at nite to help him sleep better. I'm iffy @ this cuz he is only 2 months old and i dont wanna make his tummy upset. he wakes up at nite screaming ever 2 hrs for a bottle.
advice please??????????

tabcat816

Asked by tabcat816 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my son at 4 months by mixing 1 tbs with formula . where its really runny . and i always mix some rice cereal in with his before bed bottle. it helps him sleep better and longer. hope i helped (:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Wait until he is at least 5 months and feed it with a spoon. It doesn't help them sleep at night. It makes them gassy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Every baby is different they say 4 to 6 months. 2 months is too young to start the cereal.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 8:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It's really not good to put it in the bottle, it depends on your baby and how fast they develop. A good rule of thumb is, "you know your baby is ready for baby foods and cereal when they can sit unsupported, usually around 6 months or so, some do it sooner like 5. But I really don't think the cereal in a bottle is a good idea, you can always ask a nutritionist.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't think I'd do it in the bottle, and 2 months is kind of young. Not all babies sleep through the night and you'd be surprised how many of us mom's have dealt with the same thing you're going through, it's normal. We sacrifice our sleep to keep them happy, that's just how it goes =) Oh and I started between 4-5 months. My baby was eating a LOT and always seemed hungry so that was my queue to give it a try.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He's only 2 months old so of course he's not sleeping for very long yet. I know you are tired, but this is normal. It will get better soon - hang in there.

And don't put cereal in his bottle. At best it will just make him a little gassy, at worse it will hurt his tummy and you'll both have a real problem to deal with during those long nights. Their digestive system has to mature enough to handle food. We tried giving my son rice cereal when he turned 4 months because he had reflux and his doctor thought it might help keep things down. It did not. It just made him really cranky and gave him gas and diarrhea. Since then we switched to another doctor (his previous one retired... he was "old school" in many ways) and the new doctor confirmed that waiting until at least 4-6 months is much healthier for the kid in many ways. My son actually started eating solids around 5.5 months, and did well then.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Well the AAP and WHO recommend NONE ever in their bottle. That is what they used to do, but it has been found to be NOT such a good thing and is not recommended anymore. It is recommended by the AAP and WHO to wait for any solid foods until they are AT LEAST 6 months old. People used to think it would help them sleep and for some kids it does, but for the majority of them when given to early it just upsets their tummies because their digestive systems are not ready yet and makes them sleep less. My kids never got cereal or pureed foods (homemade or store bought) at all. Around 9 months they started getting what was on our plates.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• we started at 5 months
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• At two months old I'd wait a while yet. If he's so hungry so often try extending the length of evening nursings, or increase the amount you give him by an ounce at a time. He's probably gearing up for a growth spurt. I did try the rice cereal in my daughter's bottles and didn't really see much of a difference in the length of time between demands for food.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I started my son on cereal when he was between 4-5 months old. Try increasing the amount of formula you give him before bedtime, so maybe he might sleep a little longer.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011