Could my 2 year old have a urinary tract infection?

Since last night my 2 year old son has been grabbing himself and saying "pee pee hurt" I thought it might be a urinary tract infection but he doesn't do it everytime he pees....only sometimes. I have never had one so I don't really know what they are like. Any ideas? Do you think he does have a urinary tract infection? He does not have a rash or anything like that and I know he is not constipated so I'm not sure hat else it could be. Thanks for your help.

sassyhettel

Asked by sassyhettel at 1:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• I think I would take him in just to be on the safe side, there are no real reasons why his manhood should be in pain at all, and that isn't something that you just say, ya know?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It could be. The infection, while less common in boys, is generally tougher since their urinary tract is longer than a females. I have a history of urinary infections, bladder, and kidney as well. Generally, if the urine has a cloudy characteristic, has a stronger odor, or comes with pain, you are looking at an infection, at least in my experience.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes, take him in. The pediatrician will have encountered this before.

Answer by Bmat at 1:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• the easiest way to get a tract infection is thru sex but as you can see your 2 yr ols isnt doin that lol but children who take a lot of bubble baths can get one. id take him to his doctors and have them check it out.
    Anonymous

• "the easiest way to get a tract infection is thru sex"

There are many, very common ways to get a UTI, and while sex is one of them it is not the most prominent, at least not for men.

The possibility for her boy that I would see as most reasonable would be "holding it" too long. It allows bacteria to colonize since it is not being expelled through urination.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Carolyn is right. That is what happened with me. And actually continues to happen with me. I have terrible fears of public restrooms, always have, so I will always wait until I get home and I only go at work when I can no longer "hold it". My doctor even told me that was probably the cause of mine. In children, that is generally it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• it is very possible that he has a UTI. i've had several and trust me it's better to be safe than sorry because when it gets bad, IT GETS BAD!!
    Anonymous

• Thanks Mamas! I took him to the doctor and he wants to do a urinalysis. He won't pee in the cup so my poor baby has a bag down there to collect the pee. Thanks for all your advice. I have never had a UTI before so I dodn't really know how to tell if he could have one. Thank you!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 6:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• it could have been coused by an antibotic - has he been on one recently?
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Make sure that you check often for the urine, and refrigerate it ASAP when its done, make sure that no stool made its way into the bag, and be sure to write his first and last name, birth date, and the date and time of collection.

Our lab won't accept urine that has been at room temperature for more than an hour, and I can't imagine other labs being much different.

Also, is the doctors office open tomorrow? If not, you might want to wait until Sunday night or Monday morning to get the urine, because we also will only take urine that is less than 24 hours old...

Just some thoughts :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2008