ParaGard or Mirena? adult content

I have had the implant birth control Implanon for about a year now, but the hormones have totally been messing with me. My libido is wayyyy down hill, and my son is almost 14 months old. I dont just mean like I'm not that into sex, I mean the idea of it makes me sick. I love my husband, and I personally find him very sexy, I just dont want to have sex with him. I used to want it all the time, even after having my daughter, and after having my son, this only started after I had my implanon put in. I am having major mood swings and I am usually a calm person, my periods are totally jacked up, and I am breaking out like a 13 year old kid, and I have NEVER had acne. I have also gained 20-30 pounds on it, and I eat pretty healthy, I have never had problems losing weight and right now all I can seem to do is gain even when I diet and exercise. I waited it out a year to see if the side effects would subside, but they havent, and some of them have gotten worse. I have been looking into getting either the paragard or the mirena, but I am not sure which one to choose. I like the fact that the mirena makes you have lighter periods and may stop them all together, but thats about it. Paragard dosent have any hormones, and is still really effective. I am wondering if the mirena will do the same thing that the implanon has done. I would love some opinions and personal experiences. Thanks in advance ladies!

Oh and btw, I am wayy too forgetful to take a pill everyday, I have tried the Nuva Ring but didnt like it, I dont want to do depo, and I have heard alot of bad things about the patch.

merandaobrien

Asked by merandaobrien at 8:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• Paragard, no hormones and minimal to no side effects. I had Mirena for 3 long awful years and switched to Paragard 9 months ago. It's like I went from 3 years in Hell and now I'm in Heaven. Mirena is EVIL. All birth controls affect everyone differently, but Mirena users have more negative experiences than positive - just what from I have seen on this site! I suggest joining a group about both and also visiting their websites.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Paragard, no hormones. The Mirena screwed me up bad, and so has every other progestin only BC I've tried. If you've had trouble from hormones, definitely get the Paragard.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• ^^I agree with rkoloms!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011