Im so tired of being treated like the "horrible mom"

I got a sewing machine to help me focus and start a hobby! I have been so excited, reading tutorials and things online, watching endless videos. Well everytime I mention making something for my kids my mom and grandma scoff at me! Its like they turn their nose up at the idea and treat me like im awful for wanting to give my kids home made things! My grandma acts like if it isnt high dollar than its ugly or useless (seriously had that discussion yesterday) and now my mom is starting to make comments like if I wont buy it than she will so I wont HAVE to make it. Am I wrong at being offended by this? No one was excited for me or with me but my husband?! It is really starting to piss me off! Making things for my kids doesnt make me a "bad" mom does it? Now I do know that these comments are coming from a mom that rarely cooked for me let alone made ANYTHING, and my grandma is just...a whole other story in her self! What would you say if this was you?

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• My mom was the same way when I started to CD with my daughter, and when I was BFing her. She thought both things were ancient concepts and didnt understand why I would do them for my kids when there were disposable diapers and powder formula. Eventually after alot of convincing, she got the fact that I wanted to to a good thing for my kids. Just explain to them that you will still buy them things, but why buy certain things when you can make them? Save money and have yourself a hobby. Good luck!
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 8:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Your children will treasure things you make for them. My kids are grown and still have things I made for them when they were children. Follow your heart. Sew away!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My son is actually using his father's blanket when he was small that his aunt made for him. Sewn in the corner is a label that says made with love by Aunt Donna.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am not creative in any way shape or form to make things like that nor do I have the patience to even try. I think you should just ignore what they say and go for it. You're still spending money because of the material but I think it would be fun to make costumes for halloween or plays or help your child create their own style!
    shuggsmommy77

Answer by shuggsmommy77 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm sorry they don't understand. I think it is AWESOME that you are going to make things for your children. My Granny made my dress for my 6th grade graduation; it made it that more special to me. IMO home-made gifts and things so how much thought someone put into it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My sons favorite blanket is his dad's blanket as well, mommy jules :) Homemade gifts are the BEST gifts possible. You are doing a wonderful thing and I envy your craftiness! Maybe start making them for others as gifts and eventually maybe sell and show that you can even make a profit! I will be your first customer :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think it's so thoughtful and awesome what you're doing. I hope they eat their words when they see the wonderful things you make for their children.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think that it is great that you are going to sew for your kids. If you are new at sewing, I would definitely start with a simple blanket, pillow or quilt. If you have little girls, there are so many great projects. The thing is that it is often cheaper to buy premade than to make yourself. But you are making to give to your child and it will be special from you.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Aw man, you guys are awesome!!! Much nicer than my own family :) Tee Hee thanks! Cant wait to finish my sons quilt! Im making baby legs for my daughter tonight!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think it makes you a great mom that you can make things for them and take time to make it.. I wish I could make stuff for my boys... Good Work Momma and Good Luck.. Oh and Post pics of all the cute stuff you make :)
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011