How can I get my 8 month old to sleep through the night?

Ive added cereal to his formula hoping to weigh it down and keep him full to sleep through the night but Im lucky for him to sleep 5 whole hours before its feeding time again.... Leaving me completely exhausted and frustrated.

shuggsmommy77

Asked by shuggsmommy77 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do you give him a nap? if so give him a lesser nap or not one at all for awhile and cut down on how many bottles or cups of milk or formula you give him, i had to do this with my son to get him to sleep all night..
    3boys11

Answer by 3boys11 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• There really is no way to do it, what you are doing is helping, try giving him a bowl of cereal and a bottle. Some kids dont sleep through the night until 18-24 mo old. Its deffinately no uncommon for your baby not to sleep through the night.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It can be very frustrating not getting a lot of sleep all at once but that is part of being a parent! Your baby will sleep longer eventually but just be glad you still get those 5 hours. Thats just fine for an 8 month old.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I guess its hard because I keep comparing his habits to my 4 year olds (when he was a baby) and since this one has been through quite a bit since birth. I like the idea of keeping him awake longer/lessening his naps. I noticed that when I play with him on the floor and keep him active and busy that he sleeps harder once he does fall asleep.
    shuggsmommy77

Comment by shuggsmommy77 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Unfortunately for parents, babies sleep through the night when they are ready, not when we are ready for them to do so.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• my son is 8 months old also. I used to put rice cereal in his bottle at night. He woke up 4-5 times a night. I switched to oatmeal cereal, its heartier and heavier, so it makes it thicker. He now sleeeps and wakes up 2--3 times a night.
    tayshu4

Answer by tayshu4 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• 5 hours IS sleeping through the night. Cereal does not "weigh formula down to keep baby fuller longer" - it is empty calories that they burn through faster. All it's going to do is contribute to overeating. It's turning to sugar in his digestive system. It's not helping him sleep. Quit doing it. Be glad you're getting 5 hours, then feed the poor baby and put him back to bed for another 5.
    Anonymous

• To anonymous... you make it seem like Im a bad person for asking a question about getting another hour of sleep. The doctors recommend the cereal to help with his reflux as well. "feed the poor baby" My kids come first. They are never deprived of anything.
    shuggsmommy77

Comment by shuggsmommy77 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• 5 hours is considered "sleeping through the night." there is really no way to make a baby sleep. Some adults don't sleep through the night.

Children who have restful naps have sounder sleep at night. I would not take away his naps. I would make sure he is getting plenty of floor time during the day. 8 nths is a good age to wear yourself out playing and crawling.

Also, he could be going through a growth spurt and no amount of rice cereal will make him feel full. He might just need to eat a real "meal". It wont last forever!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:04 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Maybe he's hungry... My 8 month old sleeps from 9:30 pm until 6:30 am... He takes 2 naps a day for any where between an hour to 2 at a time. One at 9am and one at 3pm. He has 8 oz bottle when he wakes up, 10:30 he has a 6 oz bottle and a stage 2 fruit for breakfast, 2:30 he has a 6 oz bottle and a stage 2 veggie for lunch, 6:30 he has a 6 oz bottle and a stage 2 veggie for dinner and a stage 1 fruit for dessert. Sometimes he may want another 2- 4 oz as he's trying to fall asleep.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2011