How long does it take to evict someone?

My landlord says she wants us to move b4 our lease is up bc "she needs a place to live"... We are suppose to close on the 18th on a house to buy.. But my rent is due tomorrow. I'm not going to pay her 750 then she keeps our 500 deposit and we leave b4 our month is up... But I want to know how long it does take to evict someone bc I have kids and I don't want to be worring about a place too live until our house closes the 18th...

mrsfarris

Asked by mrsfarris at 9:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Depending on the state you live in eviction laws differ. here in SC they can get you kicked out by the sheriff in 10 days for non payment of rent. florida and Illinois to. You can always check your leese for what it says on non payment of rent or call a free attorney for advice. BTW she CANT make you move out before the end of your leese just because she needs a place to live. A leese is a legally binding contract. Check online for renter's laws in the state you live.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It take awhile, like they have to give you 30 day notice. But be careful because they can take you to small claims court for the rent, and still keep the amount of the deposit to clean up your rental.   She should prorate your rent for the short month though.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 10:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• 30 days notice is what the law requires.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Pay her up until the or 19th..whenever you will be moving into the new place. Make an agreement with her. Prorated rent up until the 18th is $450. She cant ask you to leave like that without a 30 day notice from her. AND she cant ask you to move before your lease is up. Call your local renters association. She can evict you within 3 days if you do not pay your rent. So do your part and pay. But at the same time..they have to go to the courthouse and file.. and depending on the courts this could take up to a week to 2 weeks. Once they go to court, then the court will usually give you time to appeal...maybe 5 days. Then they have to file a Writ of Possession with the constable. Once this is done it just depends on the constable...if you are not out..then they can put your stuff on the street. But if your lease is not up and there is no reason for the owner to kick you out..like a lease violation that is grounds for eviction..they can not kick you out and evict you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2008