How do I get my daughter more comfortable with being left with babysitter/daycare?

I am a SAHM. My daughter is 16 months and I rarely have to leave her with other people. I have one friend who watches her who she is always fine with me leaving her with but anyone else and she screams and cries even if she thinks I might leave. Even at church were she use to be fine being left (when she was in the nusery before she could walk) now that she is in the toddler room she cries as soon as she sees the door. It makes me feel so bad but there are just some times when I have to leave her with someone else!! Is there anything that can make this better? Or is is just a phase and I will have to stick it out? Help please!!

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was, sometime still is, the same way and this was leaving him with his grandparents about once a week. Maybe try going early to hang out with her for a little while to get her to be more comfortable. When you do leave don't make it a huge deal with hugs, kisses, ect. but do let her know you're leaving. Don't just sneak out, it could lead to her feeling like you're abandoning her and she will always think you are just going to disappear at anytime! It will eventually pass and soon she's not going to care if you come or go. Good luck!
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 1:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• She will grow out of it she needs to spend more time around other people some children get used to being only around people that they are used too then they get comfortable then when someone new comes around its pure madness

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 9:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• She'll grow out of it. My DD used to cry MANY times at drop off, but honestly, stopped 1 minute after I left and had a great time with her friends.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It's a phase and a test. I had my son in an on-campus daycare at that same age. He would pitch the biggest fit as I was leaving. But, as soon as I was out the door and around the corner into the observation area he had already stopped crying and was happily playing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• According to the church pre school she does not stop as soon as we leave and the minute she is not distracted by something (A toy, or snacks) She starts crying again. they always tell me there were a lot of tears from her when I pick her up : (
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011