How should I go about discipline in this situation?

My 9 year old is in the fourth grade. One of her daily task during school days is to fill out her student planner for the day and bring it home for a parent to review and sign. Then she has to bring it back to school so she can get her sticker for getting that task completed. Well, for the past months, she's been forgetting to that task. What's the best way for me to teach her that it's her responsibility to get it done??

lil-mama-vegas

Asked by lil-mama-vegas at 9:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Start taking some things away, don'tallow her to go to friends houses until she steps up and starts bringing the planner home. the longer you continue to let her do this without a consequence the more she will think that its OK

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 9:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• agree. Take previledges away. going outside to play, or phone or friends over, give her small chores around the house, dusting, separating laundry, sweeping etc. when she can remeber to do as she is told then she can get some fun time back.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 9:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• same problem with my SD 10 (5th grade) and on top of not bringing it home she wasnt filling it out or not filling it out correctly so she had no idea what her homework was. (the 1st 2 wks of school parent had to sign it everynight but then after 2 weeks i guess they thought the kids could handle it and did require parent signing) so since the 2 month in school we make her get it signed by the teacher before she comes home on top of having it filled out correctly (the only one in class that has to get it signed) and that was actually the teachers idea. If she doesnt bring it home with teacher signature no TV. i think only 3 times shes forgotten it.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 10:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Nothing, let her suffer the natural consequences of not filling out her assignment notebook. She won't get the sticker at school a dn she could miss special things at school for not doing the notebook. This is advice I received from my son's 4th grade teacher. She did special things or gave treats on Fridays if ALL days were filled out and signed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Does she do any homework at home? Usually in a planner they have to write assignments in the book so you can know what is going on in her class. Have you asked her why she doesn't do it? It's also learning to be responsible for your own things. As far as disciplining your child, take away something she enjoys until she decides to bring it home with what she's supposed to have in the book. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• you can either take away privileges or as tyfry7496 says do nothing and let her suffer the consequences of not getting it signed. My son has the same thing and if he doesn't get it signed then his teacher takes something away--like recess or they earn bucks for things to buy in their school store and she will take those away
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• YOU HAVE TO LET YOUR CHILD KNOW THAT YOU ARE THE BOSS AND THAT HE/SHE WILL HAVE ISSUES IF THEY DO NOT DO WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM IN SCHOOL...TAKE THINGS AWAY THEY LIKE OR A PUNISHMENT MIGHT WORK.GOOD LUCK
    lena695

Answer by lena695 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Nothing, let her suffer the natural consequences of not filling out her assignment notebook. She won't get the sticker at school and she could miss special things at school for not doing the notebook. This is advice I received from my son's 3rd grade teacher. She did special things or gave treats on Fridays if ALL days were filled out and signed.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:05 AM on May. 16, 2011