Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Last names....legally

Im getting married in June. Im an only child and i have a son with only my last name, so i dont want to get rid of my maiden name. I want to hyphenate my last name, can i legally use my married name or do i have to put my hyphenated name on everything??

Answer Question

Asked by tayshu4 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

Level 9 (354 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I kept my maiden name but on school stuff use hyphenated so they know that I belong to my kids. I think you can use whatever name you want except on legal documents, contracts, IRs forms etc.

    Answer by luvschocolate at 9:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • oh and whatever name you sign on your marriage certificate will be your legal name.

    Answer by luvschocolate at 9:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • Can i have my debit cards and credit cards changed to my n arried name? If i use both, this will be really long!

    Comment by tayshu4 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • Your new credit cards are going to say the name printed on your ss card and your license. They aren't going to do the nice hyphenating and all just me I've tried!

    Answer by Dee24997 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • I kept the same name as my children once I remarried. I didn't want to hyphen anything

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • I have a friend who did that and if she has to sign anything with her husband uses just the last half of the - (which is her married name) and for her son school stuff uses just the first part

    Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • No even though you are legally married you can still use your maiden last name...if in doubt as the county clerk

    Answer by dusty1962 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • I would think it would depend on the name you put on your marriage certificate. It's kind of like going to the Social Security office and telling them you need a new card because you got married. They would probably go by the name on your marriage certificate.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.