Really need help with my 4 year old...

He waits to the last minute to run to the bathroom and almost always comes back with wet underwear. We've tried grounding him but he still does it. He hadnt had any accidents for over 2 years so I dont want to pass it off as a weak bladder.

shuggsmommy77

Asked by shuggsmommy77 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine has this problem for about 2 weeks. We just started askin him every hour if he had to go potty. Sometimes he said yes and sometimes he said no. If he said no, we told him he should try anyways..and 9 times out of 10, he went. It was kind of repotty training him. Good luck!
    tayshu4

Answer by tayshu4 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• talk to his doc... sometimes the bladder doesn't grow as fast as the child, and it can't hold the amount it should. Don't punish - it usually makes the problem worse!!! Try being reasonable and work with him, not against him!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My dd does this sometimes, she gets distracted and forgets to go. Just remind him to go. I ask her every hr or so if she needs to go.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Did I understand you correctly - you tried to ground your child he's 4.
    Try a reward system not a negative system If he goes potty in the pot give him a sticker If he gets a certain "small" amount of stickers give him longer story time with you or an extra time taking a walk with you. Once you feel he has made some accomplishments let him earn more stickers...try to reward him with "free" activities that your son loves to do with you.
    Both you and your son will feel like you have accomplish something.
    Also think about anything major happened in his life moved lately? is he going to school? are your pregnant? anything small to you as an adult might seem major to a child
    You might want to think about also talking to your son's doctor.....
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Watch for his "potty dance" when you see the first signs of it remind him to go try and go potty.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Mine tends to do it when she is engaged in an activity that she is loving. Soooo, I just make a mental note of that, and usually prompt her to go before she gets engaged in excitement. SHe has trouble breaking away . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• The reason he was grounded was because he was playing his Nintendo game when he peed his pants. He was too busy worrying about the game instead of pausing it that he just sat there until it was unbearable and peed his pants on the way to the bathroom. We have tried other ways to help him and had the discussion with him before about not waiting so long. He never did it so much before he got his DS.... Exactly what ImaginationMama is talking about - having trouble breaking away. I dont want to punish him... which is why I am asking for help but I didint know any other way to try to get him to understand... He is in preschool but it is home based and he loves it. He now has an 8 month old brother. We always send him to the restroom when he gets "the wiggles" and does the peepee dance. I mean having a younger sibling could be some part of the issue but I really believe he is completely distracted.
    shuggsmommy77

Comment by shuggsmommy77 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Maybe you could limit his "game time" to half an hour at a time only a few times a day? Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He does it with anything, playing outside, playing a board game inside, playing with his toys, watching a movie... I just need to make him go potty before he does any activities and ask him occasionally before it gets to that point... atleast try that before calling the doc.
    shuggsmommy77

Comment by shuggsmommy77 (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• keep consistent ask him every hour or even every half hour if he needs to go potty and he will get it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2011