Why do people say they are LUCKY to be a SAHM ...

I am NOT lucky... it isnt called LUCK it is called hard work BEFORE you have kids...

My husband and I had great jobs, we knew we wanted kids someday so we SAVED so i could be at home with them.

Come on, is there really any SAHMs who are lucky -- you are either on PA or have a husband who WORKS HARD ...

Someone please explain to me how that has to do with luck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nothing, I agree with you. It's called hard work and sacrifice.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It takes hard work to get where you are in any decision you make in life. I've worked hard to have a career that can help provide for my family and so has my husband. Nothing has been given to us and nor have we been "lucky". We've worked our asses off but are proud of ourselves and lucky that we have each other to lean on. We are a good team.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• um, I worked hard before our kids were born, My hubby works hard right now, but I still have to work part time to help out. If we could afford it I'd put my career on hold to be a SAHM. So yeah, you are LUCKY that you can afford it... we can't!! You are damn lucky!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• In this economy there has to be an element of luck - one that one's partner still has a job.

And I do consider myself lucky. Lucky to be in the position that DH earns enough, that we can pay our bills as things increase in price as his paycheck stays the same, and that the kids, DH and I are healthy. Some families are one disaster away from homelessness due circumstances that all the hard work and sacrifice will not fix.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You're still lucky. You SAHM's either have had the opportunity to have a great job that pays well (both the wife and husband) before having children and saved money, or you are poor enough to qualify for PA. The rest of us poor saps have to work at least part-time to support a family, especially in this economy. It's not luck in the way you are defining it... it is called good fortune. There is a difference. Personally, I think it sucked staying at home so I would never consider SAHM's lucky, and that's why I've worked part-time most of my life as a mother.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm lucky to be a SAHM in the sense that it was costing us more for me to work! I'm lucky we can afford for me to be home and raise our kids.
    shuggsmommy77

Answer by shuggsmommy77 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldnt call myself lucky, I became a SAHM because I got laid off and couldnt find another job that would cover daycare, its a struggle. Paycheck to paycheck. I did inhome daycare to help cover the bills. Im not on public assistance, but a few times I had to go to a food bank to make it. I love having my DD home and not in daycare. But it is hard financially, we have had to cut back our life style a LOT. Right now I dont have an option.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I for the most part agree with you...with us there was a little bit of luck (for lack of better word). My son was premature. So we had TONS of medical bills that were NOT expected. Thankfully the hospital agreed to write some off and put us on a small payment plan so I was still able to stay home. Some people do work hard and plan to stay home but then something happens...
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think OP may be reading too much into a common comment. It's not even a negative comment. To some people who want to do that and aren't able to, DO indeed consider you to be lucky, fortunate, blessed, or many other nice words. It's really not that big of a deal. We all do what we gotta do to make our families work!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I totally agree with you and I'm not a SAHM..., but to give others the benefit of the doubt I think that what they really mean is that they wouldn't want to work outside of the home so for "them" they consider themselves lucky to be doing what they have wanted to do. :)
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2011