Potty training frustation

I have an almost 3 year old boy who is refusing to go on the potty. I will put him on the potty for a bit and he will just sit there. Literally 2 min. after getting off the potty he will poop in his diaper and ask me to change it! It is soooo frustrating b/c he said wanted to use the potty and doesn't. Then goes in his diaper. It's like he is holding it on the potty. He was using the potty here and there around the age of 2 but then stopped after we moved and had our second baby. He is also sticking his hand in his diaper after he poops.It's becoming a nightmare. I am at my wits end and need some serious advice! We are going to try that 20 min off and 20 min on the potty this weekend that a lot of people told us about. It almost seems like he is doing this on purpose, like it's a control thing with him. Should I make him sit in the poop for a few min after he pulls that stunt on me? Would love any and all advice.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 10:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All I can say is hang in there. I tried EVERY word of advice out there. I started trying to potty train my twins at 2 years old. I tried everything, their Teachers were not concerned and said they will do it when they are ready. My 10 year old p.t. at 5 years old but he is autistic. My daughter p.t. at 2 1/2 in two weeks. My twins just now got p.t. they will be 5 in April. Just hang in there and try not to push too hard. I did one November and it pushed them back. They were terrified to go in the bathroom after that. Once the dominant twin decided to p.t. the other one did also. THANK GOD! For the first time in 10 years I am not changing diapers. sniff sniff tears of joy! Just remember IT WILL HAPPEN EVENTUALLY!

kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My oldest was/is potty trained, but he does pull stunts like that at times and I've figured out that since our youngest is still in diapers he feels his brother gets more attention because he gets diaper changes so he thinks if he does accidents in his underwear he'll get the same attention. My youngest is just getting ready to start potty training himself any day now.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Try a sticker chart. Thats what i did with my 20 month old when he first started training. When he went, hed get a sticker. When he got to 50 stickers, he got a special treat. He trained so fast and easy. He looved putting stickers on the chart!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It sounds silly but it worked for my son. He thinks farts are the funniest thing, I'd have farting contests w/ him while he was on the toilet & eventually he'd poop. Pee was easy just put cherrios or fruit loops in there for a target. Make it a game! :)
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 1:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• And ALWAYS reward when they do potty in the toilet. My son loved marshmallows as a treat. :)
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 1:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2011