HOW CAN I HELP MY 9 YR.OLD SON DEAL WITH BULLIES?

MY 9 YEAR OLD SON HAS BEEN BULLIED SINCE FIRST GRADE AND HE IS SHORT FOR HIS AGE. SO I THINK THE KIDS LIKE TO PICK ON HIM BECAUSE OF THAT BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A SOFT HEARTED AND SENSITIVE BOY.HIS FATHER IS NOT IN HIS LIFE SO ITS JUST ME AND MY 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER.DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR MY SON?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Find a good Tae Kwon do class and enroll him. It will make him stronger, and give him confidence
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My son was a big boy for his age and he still got picked on. Reasure him that whatever he is being bullied for is not true. And let him count on you for a shoulder to cry on. Also motivate him to be more resiliant, and have him understand that even the most perfect people get talked about. And no matter how perfect you are people will always have something bad to talk about. Always re-enforce that his is perfect the way he is and to express his emotions in a positive way. It is those kids that are the bullies and do not get taught how to be a good and respectfull person that end in trouble. Those are the ones with problems later in life. Teach him to make the right and moral decisions and to always, always, have confidence and trust in his loved ones, especially in you, his moma!!!
    xochitle

Answer by xochitle at 10:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Make sure he knows to TELL AN ADULT when someone is bullying him. I agree with the Tae Kwon Doe...it will give him confidence and build his self esteem.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I am so sorry for what your son must be going through. The good thing is he is coming to you and letting you know about the bullying, sometimes children hide this and bottle up their feelings inside which is never good. Allow him to always feel comfortable with telling you anything he feels he needs to. Open communication is always best. I agree with karate classes, some kind of self-defense. I think this will give him the confidence he seems to lack and hopefully will make him feel better. Make sure to try and build his self-esteem always praising him for things he has acheived, encouraging your child to to try new and challenging activities-like soccer, baseball, listening, and just always being there and letting him know how much he is loved. If the bullying is happening in school this should be reported and watched. Let him know this is not his fault and that these bullies are the ones with the problem.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• my son was 'annoyed' (I hate the term bully) by a little twit of a kid since kindergarten. We told him to walk away, ignore, etc. But we also told him that if that twit laid a finger on him to take the twit out. Around 3/4 th grade the twit kicked him.... our son chased him down, hit him HARD on the chin, and the kid went down and didnt get up. Our son then walked away.

Yes, our child got in trouble with the school but not with us.

The kid has NEVER bothered our boy again.... our son is now in 8th grade and has never had any other issues.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE.ITR WAS ALL VERY USEFULL AND APPRECIATED...BLESS YOU ALL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My daughter Madysin dealt with the same thing. It's not okay to be bullied, but it can be addressed of course. Madysin was bullied constantly until it ended when i talked to the principal at the school, in which Madysin came with me and told her principal, Mr. Walker that she was tired of being picked on and that she wanted the bully to be expelled or suspended, she said "do whatever it takes to get him out of here!" But, that didn't solve the problem. Somehow, the bully got Madysin's number and called her one day and started calling her names and I got irritated and called the police. That solved that, but bullying can be addressed with the right stuff.
    cartersandra

Answer by cartersandra at 10:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My son was a big boy for his age and he still got picked on. Reassure him that whatever he is being bullied for is not true. And let him count on you for a shoulder to cry on. Also motivate him to be more resilient, and have him understand that even the most perfect people get talked about. And no matter how perfect you are people will always have something bad to talk about. Always re-enforce that his is perfect the way he is and to express his emotions in a positive way. It is those kids that are the bullies and do not get taught how to be a good and respectful person that end in trouble. Those are the ones with problems later in life. Teach him to make the right and moral decisions and to always, always, have confidence and trust in his loved ones, especially in you; make sure he tells someone that he is being bullied alot of schools have a no bullying policy and the kids can get in trouble for doing this
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:04 AM on May. 16, 2011