To those of you who have breastfed or are currently breastfeeding.........

What was your experience with the lactation/breastfeeding consultants at your hospital?? Were they helpful and caring, or were they lacking wisdom of real women??

natersmom76

Asked by natersmom76 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• My hospital didn't (still doesn't) have any. Small rural hospital, you don't get all the same stuff as in the big cities. We just had/have nurses. None of the nurses or docs push either option - they fully support you whether you choose to breast or formula feed, and they help with any issues you have. The nurses there are good though.
    Anonymous

• I talked to one for probably 30 mins. She seemed like she knew what she was talking about ... I guess I really didn't know what to ask though! But they did offer a phone number and told me to call anytime I had questions. Luckily, breastfeeding turned out to be pretty easy for me and my DD.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• They were completely useless for me. I saw 3 different lactation specialists and none could help me get my baby to latch. I even went and saw one out of the hospital and still nothing. I got one good latch at 2 mos and never again. I pumped for 7 mos and that is how she survived on breast milk. BTW my LO has a small mouth (crowding with baby teeth), an extremely high palate, and a recessed chin. One of these issues can be dealt with but all 3 is very difficult to work with.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• helpful and caring

Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I never met with a lactation consultant at the hospital. The OB nurses just helped me out. I could definitely tell the ones who had breastfed themselves from the ones that had just book knowledge of it. I'm sure this is a matter of personal preference, but I liked the kind of stern "hands on" nurse. She had no bones about repositioning me...saying things like "that position isn't gonna work with all those boobs you've got" lol. She had the attitude of "women and every other mammal have been doing this since the dawn of time...your circumstance isn't special...you can do it".

I can see how a lot of women would have hated someone like her, but it was actually really comforting to me to have someone like that with my first.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Mine were really nice and they really did know what they were doing- they were helpful and knowledgeable, and they helped me to work around the problems that arose. They also gave me a discount when I had to return after I left the hospital because my son was a CHD baby- that was awesome, since we had very little money at the time :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• The one I saw at the hospital with my oldest told me to put formula on my nipple to encourage him to latch on. That is a big, no help at all.

Another one, with my youngest, 7 years later, told me that baby and I needed to take a break from each other. I should pump and bottle feed. I was livid. Poor kid could eat because he had reflux not because he wasn't getting a bottle.

If I hadn't been so exhausted from trying to get reflux babies to eat, I would have had the sense to report these women. They were supposed to be helpful but they hindered instead.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• very helpful. she showed me how to lach him on and hold him so i didn't hurt my back.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think my lactation consultants at the hospital where pretty good. They came in every few hours & watched, gave advice, and so on.. They made sure i had their phone number and when i left the nurses where excited i was still going (guess alot give up before hospital leave) that one nurse was nice enough to print me out alot of useful info (most from kellymom.com)...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My hospital has them but I never saw one. Nobody helped me after the baby was born...thank goodness my best friend was a pro! She helped me so much.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2011