He can't speak well and needs tubes in his ears cause of the delay.

My son has big time ear infection and is getting tubes cause he is so delayed. He just got over an ear infection and might be getting another he is tugging his ears..... anyways the question is if your child had to get tubes what happen/ what was done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My sister's stepson had a lot of problems with ear infections and had a speech delay. He had only 25% hearing in one ear and %10 in the other. After he got the tubes, he started talking like crazy and is like all the other little boys his age now.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My son had 2 sets as well as having his tonsils and adenoids removed. Simple tube placement is pretty benign surgery.-Takes all of about 10 minutes. The tubes will drain fluid out if there is any fluid present at the time of surgery. He was 12 months with the first set and 3 when the second set were placed. He is now 20 and has no residual hearing loss.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I worked in an ENT clinic for many years and over those years we put a lot of tubes in children's ears because of infections that caused developmental delays. I don't think I ever saw a child at a follow up appointment, who hadn't made SOME progress in their delay. It might take some time, but be patient, and I'm sure your child will get right back on track.

The surgery takes about 10 minutes to actually do, not including anesthesia and all that stuff. He will be sore for a few days, but the fluid that builds up in his ears now, should drain straight out and not cause anymore infections. When the tubes are taken out, there is a chance that they won't heal up right away and he may need a paper patch or a tympanoplasty to close up the ear drums again. Usually they heal up great though! Good luck!
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My DD needed to have tubes put in her ears because she was over 2 years old (now she is 3) and not speaking as much as she was supposed. The ENT recommended that she get tubes in her ears. So when she had her tubes put in, it was very simple. The doctor gave her some medicine so they could perform the surgery. By the time we got to the waiting room and poured a cup of coffee she was done getting the tubes. She was sleepy for the remainder of the day but the next day she was back to herself and now all I need to do is put some ear plugs in her ears when she swims or getting a bath so the water doesn't enter the ear.
    Mom0413

Answer by Mom0413 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011