I'm fixing up my apt....

It needs a new paint job (interior) Ithink it's about 900 squareft....how much paint would I need?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• SleepingB's Husband here. If you have any sort of smoke damage or mold issues, you need to clean it well first. I would suggest a solution of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), follow the directions on the box. Once you've cleaned it, get a sealing primer like Zinsser 1-2-3. It's not going to be one of the cheaper primers out there, but it seals stains, smoke damage, etc so that the smell and staining ill not bleed through.
    Once the entire area has been primed, let it dry completely for at least 2 hours. After that, cut in your corners (ceiling, floor, wall, and then paint the rest of the area. Using a high quality paint (I'm partial to Valspar Signature Series myself) will often let you get away with one coat. It's also a water based paint, so clean-up consists of soap and water.
    As for paint coverage, the rule of thumb is that one gallon will cover approximately 400 sq. feet. I prefer to lowball that and figure around 350-375 sq
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• ft per gallon. to get an accurate idea of how much paint you're going to need, measure from floor to ceiling, wall to wall. add all measurements together, and that's your sq. footage.

Hope this helps!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• We're currently painting our home. We plan on two gallons per room when painting. You can have 900 sq but not have many walls. Your answer will depend on how many rooms you have too. So, if you have 900 sf with 2 bedroom and 1 bath, I'd say...

Living Room
    Dining Room
    Bathroom
    Kitchen
    Master
    Second Bedroom
    Hallway
    Spare
    =
    17 gallons (16 to paint, 1 for leftover to touch up)

This can easily be an over estimate, but I, once again, do not know how many walls you have. For the average sized bedroom we used two gallons in our daughters room.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My husband was the paint department manager at Lowes and he says you need 3 cans and will have some left over. But that is just one coat, so if you think you will need to do more than one coat, buy a five gallon bucket.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• ok... I have a question also, I had a grease fire in the kitchen and it's all over the kitchen, will paint cover it up?
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I did a "paint calculator" online when I was doing my house that was pretty accurate. As far as the grease fire, I would try to clean it as much as possible and let it dry thoroughly before you paint, but it should cover it alright. Maybe use some extra primer before you coat.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• and what kind of paint do I need? I'm clueless lol
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• No idea in regards to the grease fire. I've never had one or even seen one.

Secondly, I have to say that I do not agree with the 5 gallons. It's going to depend on SO much more that it's not even funny. Just even down to the way you're applying it, the type/brand of paint you use, and the current shade of your walls and the shade you're hoping to go to will all make a significant difference. I can honestly not see 5 gallons of paint using a roller for most of it working on your entire apartment.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:42 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• http://davmagic.com/paint/PAGES45.html here is a paint calculator. It will help to have accurate measurements of each room.

That will depend on you and what you want. Obviously you'll need to have interior paint. I personally prefer semi gloss. We prefer Benjamin Moore paint.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Here is a paint calculator.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Paint+Calculator_953562246_

HAve fun!

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2011