What would you do if you were a teacher, and you heard other teachers talking bad about a student in the student lounge?

What sort of come back would you have for a teacher who is laughing at the lack of inteligence of one of their students?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 1:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in

• I am a teacher. Teachers talk about their students in the lounge. Of course I've NEVER heard a teacher insult a student's intelligence. Our talk was always more venting about student's behavior, asking for ADVICE on how to handle it, or talking about a student's parents (some parents can be um, over involved or demanding). I mean hey, sometimes we just needed to vent. We're only HUMAN. :)

If I heard one insulting intelligence, I honestly am not sure how I would react. I think I'd initially be in shock. Of course I am sure there are teachers out there who WOULD make fur of a student's learning ability, which is so sad.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• fun******
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• "Ben cares for other people's needs but isn't very smart."
    "It's a shame about Ben. He's a superb artist but he isn't very intelligent."

I am a student teacher, and this is what I have heard twice now from the teacher I am observing. It is pissing me off really bad, and I wish I could think of something to saythat won't get me in trouble! Ben happens to be a mentally challenged child!
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would definately say something to someone. Bc thats immature for an adult to be doing that its bad enough the students do it to each other.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 1:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Can you talk to one of your professors about it and see what they advise you to do?

Wow, it's not a shame about Ben. Some people have strengths in some areas more than others. Was it a shame if Picasso wasn't a brilliant mathematician? As teachers (in this country anyway), we are supposed to educate every child. He may never be up to the standard of his peer's intelligence but he has other things to offer the world, she mentioned his art and his interpersonal skills. Those are both incredibly valuable. Everyone does not have to be everything.

However, while I disagree with her pointing that out as a "shame," she doesn't sound super malicious from just those comments or like she is actively ridiculing him. If she said, "Ben said xyz in class today. Hahaha. How dumb." That would seem more like making fun of him. I don't think her comments were appropriate, but not totally malicious either.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• *But of course you heard tone and the way in which it was said, and I did not.
    Bellarose0212

• I don't think it was the tone, but more how much she has given up on him. She doesn't have any expectations of him during class, and treats him like something that she has to deal with rather than trying to get him engaged and interested.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I am also a teacher, as is my husband, and teachers often discuss students in order to shar information and impressions of kids - either to recognise differences in ability in different subjects or to get consensus on someone's academic abilities overall, and heck, sometimes they need to vent. Whether it is wrong or unprofessional depends a lot on how it is said, and about whom. Some of the kids we deal with really are little animals at times, "such and such wrote his name in faeces on the bathroom wall", "so-and-so is pregnant - again!" "miss such-and-such threw so-and-so's lunch in the toilet." Honestly, teachers really do need to vent at times. Don't judge until you walk in their shoes!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I would say something. Not sure what, but I would say something, probably while seething.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Judimary - I do walk in their shoes.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 7:06 AM on Mar. 5, 2011