Do animals know?

What you are having before you have it.. I'm 34 weeks pregnant, I'm having a girl, and I have two cats.. One of which hates me right now.. And the other loves me. The one that doesn't like me that much right now is my male cat and the female cat loves me.. Or maybe its just a jealousy thing or something.. But I don't know. And I've not done anything to him to make him not like me.. I treat him like I do the other.. I was just wondering if he could maybe sense that and if that is what his attitude is all about..

Poopie08

Asked by Poopie08 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pets

• Maybe if he was used to sitting in your lap, and now you're pg and bigger, he doesn't fit as well anymore and is upset? Just a thought, I don't know how big you are or when it started. Maybe he just feels like now there's no room for him! Or it could be a scent thing like amber said. That seems pretty likely too.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 4:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I suppose it could be that the other cat already didnt like you as much?
    Maybe the female is attracted to some female hormone you have more of during pregnancy that is too subtle for humans to notice.
    Maybe your different shape has scared off the male but the female is not so easily startled and maybe even like the new shape. btw, you probably already know but just in case: you cant change cat litter while pregnant.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Female animals have a sense that youre pregnant and if they have ever had a litter they will be lovey dovey to you.
    Anonymous

• I know I can't.. My husband does that. But my male cat always used to come and sit in my lap and purr up a storm.. Then all of the sudden like a week ago he started having an attitude towards me, and I've done nothing to him. Its like he wants nothing to do with me and its weird. I don't like it.. I just hope its a phase..
    Poopie08

Answer by Poopie08 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't think they know the sex, though I do believe they know you're pregnant! They can also change the sense in the household, which some deal with better than others.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I swear that when I was pregnant the animals knew it! I'm not sure that they knew the gender but I think they definately noticed a change. They were like magnets to me!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• YES MY FEMALE CAT KNEW BEFORE I DID LOL SHE WOULD HISS AT ME WHEN I TRIED TO HOLD HER BEFORE THEN SHE LOVED ME AND AFTER I WAS FURTHER ALONG SHE CAME BACK TO ME !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I didn't have a cat but had a dog while I was pregnant and she was fascinated with my tummy. She was very protective of me, and I loved to watch her ears and her face when the baby would start kicking and I'd watch her ears perk up with the rumbles and bubbles going on in there. Their hearing is so much better than ours, they can hear all of the hiccups and movements I think. I'm guessing your cat just doesn't fit as well or is jelous. But small kids somehow seem to sense what your having I think so maybe animals do too.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2008