SAHM vs. unemployed

Do you think mothers always have that excuse of claiming sahm when in reality they are just unemployed? I know of people that, even between jobs with no intention of staying home say, I'm a sahm. Yet when men are out of work, its "I'm unemployed" not I'm a sahd. Is that a cop out or what? Don't come with that " well they are sahms, they are moms, that is a 24/7 job" that's just being a mother, it comes with the territory. Not that I care or it matters, but this IS a debate board and I his happen to hear this earlier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Fair enough post. I am a SAHM because as soon as my youngest is in school I plan to go back to work. But for moms with school-aged kids, they may or may not be SAHMs or unemployed moms, probably depends if they're looking to work or choosing to not work. Doesn't matter to me what someone else does or doesn't do, and as far as I'm concerned, they don't need to make excuses. It's none of my business.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:39 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My husband is a SAHD since I got a job offer and he is on his off season vacation!! LOL Every winter his company is outta work till spring. I did not like being a SAHM so I went to school full time last year while I was pregnant with baby number 2. Every household is different and people need to stop judging. They can claim whatever title they want.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I guess my whole gist, which I didn't get out well and I know people get defensive about this topic so I really wasn't meaning to offend if I did, but why are men who are unemployed called "unemployed" while the women are sahms? I'm the family bread winner. Dh has been unemployed for 8 months so we are kinds losing hope that he will find something soon, and when he's referred to its just, oh he's unemployed. Why the difference?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Is your DH home caring for your kids while you work? If so I'd call him a SAHD
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• ***for now anyway. :) :) Why not?
    KairisMama

• Yes. he does a great job as dad and "househusband" LOL
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree with you, even though this is a job, I will be going back to work once my son is in school even though my DH makes enough for me not to have to I'd like to & he supports that if I do. Your DH seems to be doing fine most men wouldn't. :)
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 2:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Can't you be a stay at home mom and be employed? Took me awhile to figure out what SAHM was. I am employed but I am "on call" and I stay at home and take care of my baby while the hubby goes to school and work. Umm...what does that make me if I don't work full time? Darn. I am confused now.
    AlyssaM0mmy

Answer by AlyssaM0mmy at 2:17 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I am a SAHM because I quit my job to stay home with my children. If I was working and my husband was staying home and taking care of the kids and house, then he would be called a SAHD. If he got laid off and sat around all day and didn't contribute to the household by helping to run things, then he would have a different title...Jackass O.o

I don't understand your need the need to label people and pick apart what they label themselves.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• i'm a sahm cus i'm unemployed so what??
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 3:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2011