If you watched a friends 3 dogs would you expect them to pay you for doing it?

I watched a friends dogs all weekend and they peed everywhere and were just horrible. I didnt complain about it because accidents happens but she never offered to pay me for doing it or help clean the carpets. Am I expecting too much?

EDIT: I feel bitchy now for even asking the question. I have 2 Boxers who are more behaved than her dogs and I guess I just got a little mad because we disagree on dog raising ideas so i dont think she should pay me. I guess a hey im sorry I'll take your dogs if you need me to sometime wouldve been nice

ShaunaYve

Asked by ShaunaYve at 2:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Pets

• Your not expecting too much, you just thought she would be considerate and give you a choice. I understand one doggy but three. She knew how much it would have cost her if she had put them in a kennel, so she could have given you something. A few years back I did the same thing and my friend also did not offer to pay me. I was not upset at all what I did was had my carpets cleaned and my sofa and sent her the bill. She obviously was upset and stop speaking to me. The moral of the story is a real friend cherish their friendship so they would never such a horrible thing to you and a bad friend moves on and find someone else to stiff.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 2:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I don't think so. Granted, all this should have been discussed up front, but sometimes even the most well behaved dogs can go bananas when their mommy is gone! Separation anxiety can be overwhelming. My moms dig did this to me and I had offered for free. The male is sooo anxious that he crapped in my couch, in the bathroom, then rubbed it on the walls. Ugh. I owned a carpet cleaner so I said don't worry about it. Tough situation. I guess if your comfortable, asking won't hurt, even for half because it is partly your responsibility for not ironing out the details sooner.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• you maybe could have arranged this before watching the dogs. they are going to be dogs and eat, poo and bark. at least you now know how you feel and might do it again with the agreed upon fee that you both decide is fair.
    kbutts

Answer by kbutts at 2:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't accept if my friend offered but I would be pissed if they didn't offer.  To me it's the thought that counts.  If my friend watched my animal(s) and my animal peed on their carpet, I would pay to have it cleaned, period. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have watched all of my friends dogs...I tend to be that go to person. I always tell them not to pay me because as a friend, that is just one way I can be helpful. I would expect them to do the same for a friend who needs something. However, they always manage to find a way to show appreciation. I have had generous gift cards, dinners out.... But it is considerate, they always show their appreciation one way or another, I think that is the polite thing to do...even though I really am fine without that. In my opinion, this friend at the very, very least could just take you out to lunch as a token of appreciation. Dogs are hard work away from home.

Once I had an acquaintance at school who wanted me to watch her dogs for payment, I declined. Her dogs were unruly and not trained. I had this weird gut feeling. Turns out my gut was right, she was looking for free training without paying, that's not nice. She bragged about it.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Oh and I think that I'd be appreciative of my friend doing me the favor and throw a little cash their way for their trouble.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:25 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I watch family/friends pets for them. I've never asked for money. They always provide the food, any meds, and leave me a note to ok treatment if a vet would be needed. In return, they watch mine.

I can understand you being upset, but as pp mentioned, animals tend to go a bit nuts when their 'family' wanders off. They don't understand ~ even when they are cared for well ~ they only know their world has changed. If it is really that big a deal just don't offer again (and tell her no if she asks again).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2011