My son went on fruit strike

My son is 9 months old and has refused to eat fruits for the last couple days. He's always loved all his solids and he wasn't very picky. At first I thought he wasn't wanting as much solid food because he cut a tooth. Yesterday I realized that he will only eat those nasty "meals" in the jars and green veggies. What could this mean? I've tried everything to get him to mix it up but he just won't eat anything else. He's actually starting to get an orange hue to him.

BabyBreyen

Asked by BabyBreyen at 2:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would guess that you are probably imagining the orange hue, it is easy to be paranoid about stuff like that. Unless he's been eating 37 carrots a day, its unlikely he would be orange. Otherwise, it is perfectly normal for babies to go through "food phases". My son LOVES fruit, but for a week or so at a time he just won't eat it, then he'll be back at it again. Its a great chance to get to try out new stuff, because he isn't so full from stuffing himself with fruit! Try cheese, toast, veggies, sweet potatoes, lunch meat, chicken, anything that is tasty and he can gum. He'll be back to the fruit eventually, but take advantage of the chance to switch things up!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Cut down on the vitamin A rich foods. That's probably causing the orange tint. It's not unusual for babies to go through phases like this with food. Breastmilk or formula should still make up the bulk of his diet, and solid foods should just be a bonus for practice at this point. Just be patient and keep offering a variety of foods. Don't let meal time become a power struggle or a negative experience. This will pass, and soon you'll be onto a new challenge.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008