Is it stupid to ask?

Or would they even do it?
I have been leaking fluid for a few days I went to the dr. and they say it isnt my water. But it looks like it is to me My water broke with my first at 34wks. Anyway. I swear I can feel her moves a lot easier. And I look smaller. Do you think it would do any good to ask them to do an ultrasound to check the fluid around her? I'm 33wks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you probably feel the difference because she's dropped. they can do a litmus test to tell if there is amniotic fluid in your vagina. I would ask for that and go from there.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• No, it can't hurt just ask. I ask a lot of "stupid" questions, only because my doctor has pretty much seen and heard everything..
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• What did they do to determine that it isn't amniotic fluid that you're leaking? If I were in your shoes, I would hound them until I was satisfied that everything was okay. I don't know that an ultrasound is the only way to do that, though. Maybe just call, explain your concerns, and continue to be really assertive until you are satisfied.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• YES INSIST, IF YOU DOCUMENT THAT YOU WERE AWARE OF THE CHANGE AND THE DR DOES NOT ACT ON IT, THE DR IS LIABLE.
    GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM, DOUBLE CHECK. YOU KNOW YOUR BODY AND IT IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It's not stupid. I would ask again and remind them of your previous experience.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My doctor explained to me that you have more discharge down there and you feel wet a lot. They can swab you down there and see if you are leaking. It only takes a few second once they swab you to determine if it is fluid or extra discharge. I was afraid I was leaking and asked my doctor to check. It is easier than an ultra sound. I would call and ask about it.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My kids dont drop thats why I have to have c-sec. neither of mine did. And they did a test that is why they said that it wasnt.
    Anonymous

• I was just wondering. Is there any other way to check the fluid? To see how much is in there? I'm just really worried. And they think because i'm young that I dont know what I'm talking about it is my body not their's i know when something is different.
    Anonymous

• yes, as we have said, they can do a litmus swab to determine if its amniotic fluid. and jsut bc you didn't drop last time doesn't mean you wont this time. 2nd time pg work a little diff and usually drop well before labor, even if there was no drop in the first pg.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 2:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• There are no stupid questions when it comes to the health of your family. If your water broke early last pregnancy, you have a good reason to be concerned. I would try the litmus test again, and change your doctor appointments so that you have one every week. You might get a series of midwives but they know how to test too, and knowing what is going on is always the best thing!

Good luck, and congrats on your baby!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 2:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2008