Reading to my daughter...

Ever since my daughter was born, I have always read to my little girl but I don't read her picture books like you normally read to a two year old. Since she was born, my little Alice has always enjoyed reading chapter books. She has picture books, which she likes to sit on her own and look at the pictures, but when I'm reading to her, she enjoys reading what I'm reading. I've read her all of the Harry Potter books and all of the Shiloh books, W.I.T.C.H., and many others, some we've read more then once. My mother fusses at me for this and says we should read books on her level and that's the only way she'll learn how to read. At two and a half, my little girl can always recognize some words, like Open and closed (Like on a store) her name, my name (Sophie), and several others. She thinks I'm doing this all wrong but I enjoy the time we spend together reading and she loves these books, a lot of which she picked out, and she does understand the stories and she in entertained by them. My mother read the baby books to my sister and I and we were both reading very young so she thinks her way works best, but Alice is doing great with my system. What do you think?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:52 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can't get my kid to sit still long enough for me to read to her. She doesn't want me to read, she wants to flip through and interpret the pictures herself - and if there's no pictures? Either ripping the pages will suffice, or she just wanders off to play with more interesting things. I am a total book worm, and I wish I could get her to let me actually read a book to her, but she is just too squirmy and disinterested.
    So bravo to you! You do whatever works for you and your daughter.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:00 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• That's one of the few things I can get my daughter to sit still for. She'll sit to read and she'll sit to let my sister's daughter put make up on her.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• keep up what your doing!if your daughter keeps reading more and more words,when she goes to school,she may skip a grade or two!
    mom_test

Answer by mom_test at 4:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• That's what I told my mother but she thinks that, since her method worked, then no other method should ever be used. I was reading chapter books by the time I was in kindergarten and on a highschool reading level by the time I was in the fourth grade and on a collage level by the time I was in the sixth grade. I keep telling her that, just because your way worked, doesn't mean mine won't.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I read my daughter books with pics and without. I prefer without because she joins in and asks things like, is she wearing a purple hat? So she's enjoying reading, and really using her imagination too.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 7:07 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My little girl makes up stories with the pictures and tells them to me.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 7:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think that as long as she enjoys it, you're doing great! I read all of the Harry Potter books aloud to my daughter when she was a baby. Now I can't get her to sit long enough to listen to chapter books. If I could, I would. I remember with great fondness my mom and dad reading me chapter books from a young age. As a result, I was reading at a higher level than a lot of kids in school. I devoured every book my dad handed me. I also ended up with a love of reading that I carry with me to this day. Whenever I get a chance, (which is few and far between these days, unfortunately) my nose is buried in a book. I run into the "This is how I did it, and it worked, so it must be best" attitude with my MIL a lot. I usually just smile and nod and respectfully disagree. Fortunately, she usually drops the subject because she realizes I'm not going to listen to her anyway.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:33 AM on Mar. 5, 2011