DO most people really think thier kids will never try drugs?

i got into a disagreement last night with a friend because she said that her kids will never do drugs, i say i bet they try them they are normal, she tells m e she wants a life for her kids and they will not. I told her when they do they will not run home and tell you and just because they try it doesn't mean they will do them forever.
She got upset with me. well i believe just because you tell your kids something doesn't mean they are going to listen.

What do you think???

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 6:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I completely agree. My whole life my parents were anti-drugs (yet i find out as an adult that they smoked pot the whole time). they preached & moaned about drugs & alcohol & how if they ever caught us...yadda-yadda-yadda. They tried to scare us into not using drugs. Of course we tried drugs in high school & college & of course we never, ever told out parents....lol. All we thought was that they would be disappointed in us.

I am taking a different approach with my DD. I am openly talking to her about drugs, what they look like & what they do & the effects they have on our brain & body. She is getting into music & was asking me about Janis Joplin & i was honest & told her that she died from using drugs. This made her really sad. But, i feel like this open dialog here lets her explore & learn more about the effects of drugs, rather than getting the urge to try them out for herself...which she still might do one day.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:34 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Not all teenagers try drugs. My mom talked to me and my sisters about drugs and we never even tried them. You can trust some kids to not do drugs just because you told they are bad for you.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:59 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It DOES happen. I never did. Raise them with common sense and morals and then hope and pray.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My older daughter was at a friend's house and the friend and some other started smoking pot. My daughter called and got her boyfriend to come get her. I don't worry about her trying drugs, she's smart enough to get out of bad situations if she does find herself there. Not everyone tries drugs - I can tell you from experience that there are plenty of people who have seen the effects of drugs on people's lives and don't want any part of them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think you are wrong. I know plenty of people, including my husband that has never as much as smoked a cigarette, let alone use or try illegal drugs. I think it is wrong of you to think that kids all try drugs at some point, because many don't. It has to do with both how the child is raised, the people the child hangs around with, as well as the child's thoughts and beliefs on drug use.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• BUT, i want her to know the facts. I want her to know what happens to people who get addicted. I want to show her right from wrong, but still allow her to make her own choices in life because that's how we learn. If someone else is making all of our choices, we'll never learn from anything.

So, as a parent....i feel all i can do is teach her the best way i can. Show her by example & let her know that i am understanding, loving & will always be here for her. The rest is up to her, she is a human & makes her own choices regardless how much we as parents have control over their lives. I try to usher her to make the right choices, but i know all humans make mistakes & i will be here for her every time she makes one to hold her & hug her & let her know all will be alright.....ALWAYS!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I hope my kids will never do drugs, but I won't disown them if they do. Drug and alcohol addiction run very heavily in both my family and my DH's, so I fully plan on being open and honest with my daughters about what drugs do and will answer any questions they have, including those about my own experiences. I will do the best I can to show them that for people with a propensity for addictions, the safest route is to not ever start using drugs or alcohol and hope that they understand.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Ditto vicesix - both my husband and I have alcohol/drug abuse in the family and I hope knowledge of this will be a good deterrent for my kids; it was for me. They may fall short, but if you don't set the expectation, kids will never meet it.

TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It's possible they won't. I've never tried drugs. Not once. I've never touched a cigarette either and I'm 34. Heck, I didn't have my first beer until I was 29.
    But I don't assume they won't. I just hope they wait until they are much older and are smart about it or... just skip it all together like I did.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Common sense tells me at some point she will. But I can't help but hope she doesn't.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 6:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2011