Friend/neighbor

My neighbor is in her 50's ,,,drinks alot and smokes alot. She is loneley she retired too young and her kids are grown and gone. she calls me from first thing in am til night ,,,,,begs me to come up at night to "drink w, her" i say im on a diet ...she has now resided to buying me diet booze as she would say. Its a way to lure me up to justify her drinking , I want know part of it ,,please help, i cant tell her off it will cause too many issues in the neighborhood, but what do ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• you have to be honest with her and tell her that you really do not want to drink. If she thinks you are a drinker like she is then what she is looking for is a drinking buddy. It's probally best to just be honest.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Tell you her quit drinking & wish that she would respect that & not ask you to drink with her. Even if it's not entirely true, she would refrain from asking if she thought you were "on the wagon".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:03 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• You have to tell her you just don't want to drink. It's nothing against her. You don't need to tell her off, she sounds so lonely.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 7:16 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• you may have to get firm with her. You can be as nice as possible, but if she's anything like some alcoholics I've known, she may have a very hard time even remembering what you tell her let alone understand.
    I know you are worried about upsetting others in the neighborhood, but she's intruding on your life. based on what you said about her actions, anyone that gets upset with you for wanting her to back off isn't rational.

have you considered not talking to her? such as not answering the phone?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Hey this neighbour is so lonely. Keep going to your neighbour who only needs company. The neighbour feels the drink is the way to lure you. That's all...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 8:58 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Just be honest and tell her you don't want to drink. Instead of telling her off, why not just be truthful and let her know in a nice way how you feel? That's what I would do, and it hasn't really caused any problems for me yet. Hope this helps.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:23 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Continue being a neighbor but just tell her you don't drink that often so you won't be coming up today, talk to her in moderation maybe a few minutes in the morning and tell her you have to get your choirs done and chat with her in the evening for a few min about your day and avoid talking about drinking.
    Also just tell her you on a diet and don't want anything to drink your being good...good luck
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2011