what age do they start saying ABC's and 123's?my son is 18 months and counted to 9 yesterday!

My son just counted to 9 while playing with his toys, he doesnt seem to do it when we want him to but he did do it with us a little but more often while hes playing. When do they "normally" start reciting abcs and 123s? He says letters but mostly out of order, recognizing some and is interested in it all. Were just having fun with it, I just wondered what age they usually start counting etc.

SLIMSMOM

Asked by SLIMSMOM at 2:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is almost 16 months and she knows some of her letters and numbers already. It varies with every child. Not sure what the "Normal" age is though.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It depends on how often we work with our kids on these things. My daughter will be 3 in January and she has been saying her ABC's and counting forever. For the past few months we have been working on letter recognition. This morning we were playing on her chalk board spelling her name, her brothers name etc. and when we got to Dad she said D-A-D. I couldn't believe it!! I guess all the repetition pays off!
    outofmymind26

Answer by outofmymind26 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My youngest was counting for a long time but we read counting books and what not I think much of it she just memorizes it but doesn't really understand it's reason or order. She just recently (being two) learning to IDENTIFY numbers randomly which makes them better understand the things they have memorized. But ya if your consistent they can learn anything at any age.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 3:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My Son is 2 yearold he says his ABC: Time to time but i don't push him to say them he learn from watch my 3 yearold Nicece She say them alot.... So that helps me when she does .. LOL Now if i can only get him to Coloring more.......
    Angels723

Answer by Angels723 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My daughter is 18 mons. old and can spell her name and count to 10.  I think it helps that my husband and I do flash cards with her and read to her alot.  Also, Sesame Street seems to be teaching her alot as well!

SDani

Answer by SDani at 4:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• fairly typical. a little advanced. my 20 month old has 40 signs, over 3000 words (supposedly! i don't count but her eval says she does), and can recognize 3 letters consistently as well as count to 11, sing her abc to h, and do a sommersault. she is within fairly normal range.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2008