What age did you talk to your child about sex?

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I talked about different aspects of sex with them at different ages. The "where do babies come from" we covered when they were 4-5, the "how do they get there" we covered at 8-9, I haven't covered birth control with either my 11 yo or 9 yo but will be having that conversation soon with the older one. Basically I have answered their questions as they came up.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I had a bigger version of "the talk" last year (10) but we need a more detailed disussion in a couple of years...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Exactly missanc - as questions come up, I give them accurate information and make sure they are appropriately educated for their age.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:15 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I have been having this discussion since my son was 6. All information was age and developmentally appropriate. I am very honest and open when I speak to my son. I would rather give him accurate info rather than he get inaccurate info in the halls at school.

An example, my son came home in 6th grade saying that he knew how babies come out. I asked him how and he said, "through the butthole". That was going around the halls of his school. I explained otherwise. (He knew surgery because I had a C-section and seen my scar when he is little). I called the school nurse who teaches sex ed and told her that info. The next class she talked about where babies really come out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• When they start asking I try to find some age appropriate answer. I want them to come to me with their quetions so I do try to be as honest as I can be.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• The information trickled out from the get go.... every time there was a question I answered it right then in there in an age appropriate way.

Both my girls and boy knew about periods from about 3 on. They knew that mommys bleed from between their legs every once and a while but that it was private and not to be shared with other kids. That ALL kids learn these things when their mommys are ready to tell them. They knew what hole the baby came out of by about kindergarten because we had so many pg friends. They knew that a mommy and daddy had a special naked hug that helped make the baby from about 1-3rd grade... some where around 3rd grade they knew that a mommy and daddys private places fit like a puzzle piece to make a baby. The rest just came out when needed.

I never had the need for a full sit down talk since the conversation just naturally came up and was discussed.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• They are 3 & 4 and I've already talked to them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2011