My 21/2 year old son does not real food and I dont know what to do.

all he eats is..mac n cheese,grilled cheese, chicken nuggets, crackers, pp&j, Mozz. sticks, ice cream and fruit snacks thats all i am not just naming a few this is really all he eats! he hates milk when he eats cereal he tilts the spoon to dump the milk off. Me and my SO did everything but nothing works. If we are eating "real food" he says "eww whats that smell" anyone out there with the same problem? please i give up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do not have this problem because I am a firm about home cooking and eating healthy. Both my girls are awesome eaters because the only time I feed them mac and cheese and pamper them in that way is lunch and only lunch. When it comes to dinner everyone eats the same thing if you don't like it too bad.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 3:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• We do like the pp, I cook one thing, that's it. If you don't like it, you don't eat. I guess it sounds kind of mean, but I figure they'll eat it if they're hungry enough. (I have made a few exceptions, but for the most part no. If it's something like chinese food, which neither of them like at all and have tried, I'll make them something different) I just wouldn't make those things for him anymore. Our doctor told me a long time ago that a kid won't starve himself, he'll eat if he's hungry. When my oldest was about 2, he went through a thing where all he wanted was Spaghetti O's, so I quit buying them. He ate what we had! Just be firm and stick to it, and he'll realize that he can't always get his way! Good Luck!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• we have said your eating this and thats that. but still it does not work he crys and he really wont eat it. I feel bad cause i dont wanna starve him.
    Anonymous

• This is all your son eats because that is what you give him. My doctor has always told us NOT to make other meals for our kids. I should just make dinner and if they don't eat it, then they don't get anything else to eat... no snacks, no sandwich, no nothing. If they are hungry later, you give them thier dinner. If they go to bed without dinner, they will make up for it at breakfast. He will not starve himself. You just have to be firm.
    chrissy339

Answer by chrissy339 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't have this problem because I don't feed my son anything like that, he only eats real food. But you just have to keep on offering him the food until he tries it. You can try making baked chicken and just cut it into nugget sizes, add some broccoli into the mac n cheese so he;'ll get used to the taste. You can maked grilled cheese with tomato in it, hide the tomato in between 2 slices of cheese so that he won't notice it until he eats it, then he'll see it's not so bad. You just have to be sneaky. And you should get rid of the fruit snacks and get him fruit. Make a fruit salad or something, it's sweet and bite sized.
    Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Your son cries, you give in. This is really not what you want to teach him. He will not starve himself. If he gets hungry, he will eat. In fact, your children will eat what you give them. If you only serve food to him that is good for him or healthy, he will eat it. If he has the option of junk food, he will throw a fit until you give in. Which seems to be what you do. Remember this one important thing, you are the boss not him, and it is your job to keep him safe and healthy. If you are giving in and feeding him junk, you are teaching him that he is the boss, and it is ok to eat junk.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 3:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I am going to the same situation that you are. My son is a mac and cheese fanatic. And he loves his fruit snacks. But my son is 2 1/2 42 in and 41 lbs. I give my son his mac and cheese and his fruit snacks but I make sure I add something else with it. Like if I give him mac and cheese I will give him baked chicken to go with it. And if he eats everything on his plate I will give him the fruit snacks for desert. But I make sure the fruit snacks are the all natural no sugar added or made with all natural fruit juice. You could also try giving him pieces of fruit frozen into fruit juice ice cubes. My son loves them and it's a healthy substitute for junk food. It will be difficult to break your son out of the habbit of wanting junk food all the time so you just have to take it slow and gradually.
    kesha263

Answer by kesha263 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I was an extremely picky eater as a kid. my mom todl me to take a "no thank you helping." If i REALLY hated it I would go hungry but a lot of the times I at least got a small serving of something healthy. Your child won't starve to death. Just be firm. He'll come to udnerstand it's this food or no food and decide for himself if he'd rather go hungry or eat from the family meal. I will be doing that with my child. I refuse to cook two meals. i hate even cooking one! If she doesn't like a seasoning i might leave something off and let her have it plain but that would be the extent of my generosity.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 5:01 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• as others have said, kids will not starve themselves, they will eat when they are hungry. do not feed him stuff anymore than you dont want him to eat. only cook 1 meal and if he doesnt eat, oh well. i know it sounds mean but if you teach early on that "this is whats for dinner [or lunch or breafkast]" then they will eat what is in front of them. sometimes not all of it though. like with every dinner i make a veggie and the only one my toddler will eat is salad. but we keep offering the other stuff [carrots, green beans etc] and one day im sure she'll have some. some meals she'll only have the "side dish" [pasta, brown rice etc] and no protein. oh and not everything you are giving him is junk. i give my toddler grilled cheese, but i dont cook it with butter on the stove but with a "panini" press gagdet. i make chicken nuggets by baking chicken coated in crushed corn flakes. hope this helps!
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 6:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008