Do you agree with this?

Okay, so I know someone who is supposedly very religious and spiritual. They are Christian. Well, a while back this person made the statement that 'a woman should not be president". In other words it is not a womans place. It was strange because he was for Palin but only because she was to be the vice president and not the actual president. He was against Hilary Clinton. So my question is, does it say somewhere in the Bible that woman are below men? I do agree with being submissive to your husband, but does it say that we should be submissive to every man? Or was it just a sexist and not a very kind remark? Bible quotes would be great. This is really bothering me. Can't look at him the same anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We have come from a mans side not his feet see Genesis also I don't get into this topic much I find it causes huge debates and I won't debate the Word. I will be watching to see whats said? hehe--
    TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 3:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• That's right we women were created out of man from their side. The Bible says for the Husband to be the head, but the wife is to be his helper, not anything less. I've read the Bible over and over, I don't remember ever reading where it's wrong for a woman to a president or any other official. If a woman isn't married, isn't she the head of her house? The Word says to put God first above all else, then your husband (if you have one) and then your children. I didn't vote for Hillary, not b/c she's female but b/c her beliefs don't line up totally with the word of God. I do believe that if you're in line with the word of God in prayer and everything you do and you feel that He's calling you to run the nation (and you're a woman) then by all means go for it and obey Him. The book of Ruth is a good book in the old testament to read.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• In the case of the comment, I would say that the guy was being sexist and a hypocrite. A hypocrite because he bashed Clinton but supported Palin as vp knowing that she could/would be first in command if something happened to McCain. This is an example of one's words coming back to bite him in the butt.
    As for the role of women in the Bible, there were rules set forth concerning leadership in the Church. This does not apply to any secular roles in govt. or work. Even with the rules in Tim. I think, there were still provisions for when a woman had to be in charge so to speak such as covering her head in the presence of a man. So being that there were provisions I would say that women in leadership was expected.
    luvnunity

Answer by luvnunity at 3:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Did he say it was in the bible and that is why he felt this way or are you assuming he feels this way because he is Christian? Just because one is Christian doesn't mean he's without sin...remember that. What one Christian says and feels isn't what all christians feel. It sounds as if he was stating HIS opinion not the opinion of all Christians....he doesn't know us all and can't speak for us.

As far as what the bible says...my husband sent this scripture to me yesterday, as a matter of fact...

1 Timothy 2:11-13
    11 A woman should learn in silence with full submission. 12 I do not allow a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; instead, she is to be silent. 13 For Adam was created first, then Eve.

LOL...I have to read more into that. Maybe you should too before you start assuming anything "bad" in regards to it.

Do you read the bible? You can PM me if you'd like. : )
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Those verses were referring to how Timothy was instructing them to run the church, not how Jesus was instructing them. And if you read the whole chapter, he was telling the men that b/c the women were speaking out of turn all of the time and there was chaos in the church. And the women were gossipping.

1&2 Corinthians and Ephesians talk about how to love your husband and/or wife. Husbands are to submit and love their wives as they love the church and wives are also to submit and love their husbands.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes he was referring to religion. But I do think he was throwing his opinion in there and he thought we would just agree with him because he is "religious". I know that not all Christians think the same and no one is perfect. It just got me sick that he was saying that and trying to use religion to back it up. Come to think of t he is lucky he didn't make that comment in front of my daughters!

susan076, just wondering if you think he was right or wrong? not sure of your answer.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, that's the difference between religion and a relationship w/ God. There are so many denominations out there. I was raised baptist and that religion teaches things out of the bible that they are comfortable with, the same with catholics, methodists, etc. My dad was a preacher and when I was in my early 20's and in an physically abusive marriage. (I wasn't in a church or reading my bible or praying), but one day I cried out to the Lord and I start reading His word for myself. I found so many things in there that was never taught in a baptist church. Speaking in tongues, healing in Jesus' name, etc. People go to churches of manmade religions (denominations) that are comfortable to them.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Well I am the same religion as this guy and I had never even thought that a woman should not be president. Even my husband was shocked. But I wasn't sure if maybe they (his wife agrees with him) knew something I didn't. I am still learning so much about God and religion. I agree that religion without a relationship with God is almost useless and can sometimes be destructive. That is just my opinion...no need for an argument.
    Anonymous

• Also, they have 5 girls. I don't know what to think about it. Is this what he is putting in their heads?
    Anonymous

• It is sexest... And I believe in eqality. But to be honest I don't want a woman in the white house either. Now, I'm not christian but I am pagan... We believe in eqality as much (and probibly more) than most christians... But I know how moody I get around "that time" and that scares me... I'm not sure I want someone with PMS deciding if we should go to war...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2008