Aspergers?

My dd has jus been dx with Aspergers. I am in the process long process of trying to get her medicaid so she can get started with wrap-around therapy. My question i guess is, How do i handle her meltdowns of frustration and anger and well just everything. I know its quite a broad question and yes i am tired and at breaking point. I dont know when she will be approved and just thought that maybe some mom are now dealing with ds's or dd's that could give me some pointers.
Thnk you

blrusso

Asked by blrusso at 8:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2011 in Kids' Health

• what is her age?

dealing with meltdowns handled differently at certain ages
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• She will be 4 at the end of the month
    blrusso

Comment by blrusso (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• This is a really good article on how to deal with tantrums:

http://campaigns.ratepoint.com/campaigns/190bbae076f9b42ced622dfb0d5b8784?r=198e64a4b217c0820b70757fb33baa70

This is anothe good one on why toddlers have tantrums and some ways to respond:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/21/toddlers.temper.tantrums.parenting/index.html?hpt=Sbin

My DD has Apergers. She was diagnosed at age 10. You are so lucky to have such an early diagnosis.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• my daughter 3.5, moderate autism
    early intervention and services helped a lot, you will learn from therapists as much as your daughter
    every child has different triggers for meltdowns
    keep a tantrum journal, after a while can look back and see which are some of her triggers

usuallt boils down to "too much"
    now to figure what is too much
    does she have sensory precessing orders too
    too much visual stimulation
    too much sound
    etc etc

hugs to you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree with fiatpax- make a journal for meltdowns to help find out what her triggers are-- that way you can sometimes 'predict' when one might occur and head it off before it starts. With my son I find that if I limit his choices to 2 things (do you want this or that) helps so he is not overwhelmed, I also give him notice when we are going to change activities-- example- he is playing and we need to leave for an appointment--- I give him a 10 minute notice and 5 minute notice and then go into our 'get ready to go' time (finding shoes and putting on, getting coat on). He functions better when he knows a change is going to happen, rather than a sudden "get your shoes we are going to the store". Picture cues and reminder cards also help my son (like a note card with his morning routine written on it-- so he can refer back to it and see what he needs to do to get ready for school).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• To zoeyis. Aspergers. "Symptoms may be noticeable in the first few months of life. Problems should be obvious by age 3 years"
    this is a quote from Medical professionals. My dd has been seen by professional who have been in this area of expertise for 28yrs. I trust they know what to look for.
    blrusso

Comment by blrusso (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• 4 is definitely not too young to be diagnosed, especially since early intervention is key.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011